Keeping horses in for a long period of time. . .

Flint12

Visit site
Has anyone got any advice on keeping stabled horses occupied and sane!!

My lad has been in for two weeks and it is starting to go to his head!! He was lose in the car park yesterday due to him rearing up with me while trying to take him into the school to have a run and he is becoming a little monster to ride(this doesnt bother me as much as i can cope with the ridden energy and it makes schooling him easier, it is just the handling which is getting on my nerves).

As soon as i came back from the Gambia (last sat) i started to cut his food down a bit. He is on hayledge as he will not touch the hay.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice for handling a rather bored, full of energy little monster?

Thanks, sorry if i rambled on
smile.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
Is there nowhere that he can have some turnout? I'm assuming he isn't injured with you mentioning riding him, but apologies if I've got that wrong.

golddustsara

Visit site
Why has he been in for 2 weeks? Is there no way they can go out for a smaller amount of time each day?

I just couldn't manage being at a yard where there is no turnout... I think Orkan would go mental not being out for the day.

Flint12

Visit site
Sorry very silly thing to miss out. . . The yard currently has no turnout due to th weather we are having.

The only time i can let him out is in the school, for however long i book it for, but being at a large yard unless i am riding him i dont feel i can book it for more than half an hour so that is what he currently gets.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
In that case, look to move yards. It's simply crazy to confine animals like this. And if the yard simply doensn't have the land to be able to turn out all year round, then they either need to reduce stock or pack up.

Makes my blood boil.

golddustsara

Visit site
Without sounding mean, I would be looking to move yards as well I'm afraid. I just moved mine because the YO wouldn't allow him to be out 24/7 in good weather. They really need turnout every day and its a miracle he's not going psycho. I cannot abide yards that stop horses from having such a basic freedom.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In that case, look to move yards. It's simply crazy to confine animals like this. And if the yard simply doensn't have the land to be able to turn out all year round, then they either need to reduce stock or pack up.

Makes my blood boil.

[/ QUOTE ]

SS beat me to it!!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
the weather has been a bit wet, and yes most of us have got mud!! but the fields do recover (never fails to amaze me) with a little tlc and top seeding and fert in the spring!! If yard owners are so bloody precious about their fields they shouldnt keep horses in any volume! i think they dont want to pay for fert and seed and rolling and harrowing, but they do want to collect the livery cheque. it balances out in the long run as they have to spend more on bedding and hay/haylage and man hours to keep stabled! my liveries have the choice and most of them are still out 24/7 with hay. rugged and clipped and working and very happy (if a little dirty) horses and owners!if your horse is loosing the plot then your arrangement is not suiting him very well.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Makes my blood boil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I am so glad I have my own place now, all be it rented.
crazy.gif

AGAGE

Visit site
Turning out is really the best option. My boy, however is very un-horse like and hates going out in the field in winter, and gets really stressed if I put him out.

One thing that might keep yours occupied or less stressed is a big mirror. Ted loves his 'friend' and stands for hours next to the mirror looking very contented. He has no idea he is looking at himself. However, not all horses I've known like mirrors, but my boys love theirs. Might be worth a try?

diggerbez

Visit site
Hey- i spent 4 winters on a yard that had NO winter turnout from October to May
shocked.gif
i found that my horses were normally a bit mental for the first couple of weeks and then they were fine- just made sure i walked out every day and tried to ride as much as possible....also made sure that they had plenty of hay, one of those ball toys that dispenses treats, lickits and things....
smile.gif

i have, however, now moved to a yard with winter turnout
grin.gif
grin.gif

sue44

Visit site
if only we could keep our horses as nature intended and not caged up all day.No wonder they start to go insane and get bad reputations when its not their faults.The livery I am on offers almost nil turnout during winter.Absolute nightmare......