Keeping horses with other animals

lennysmith

Visit site
Sorry if I'm being dense here, but are there any animals which shouldn't live with horses for one reason or another?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that there are, but cant think for the life of me which ones or why.

Thankyou xxx

siennamiller

Visit site
don't donkeys potentially give them lungworm??
could be wrong
confused.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
i have seen donkeys with horses before, so im sure if you worm them correctly and get advice from vet there shouldnt be a problem, why are you planning on putting something different with your GG? What have you got in mind?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Don't know of any definites but they usually don't like donkeys. I do know that it is illegal to travel horses and pigs together, unless the horses are racehorses and the pigs are there companions!!! Don't know the reason but my grandad had a book full of obscure horse related laws. I am guessing that the government probably hasn't updated it, but you would have to be really unlucky to get caught doing that!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

lennysmith

Visit site
No. Only the mad foal! Friend was saying this morning she remembered reading somewhere that something couldn't be put with horses, and so do I. Cant remember for the life of me what animal it was though. Although sh's just text and said what about chickens???

Lill

Visit site
Am not sure but i know ours have lived with goats, chickens, geese, llama and sheep and seem to be ok? Oh and peacocks!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Didn't actually keep them in the same field but Ella use to be next to pigs, she was a little wary at the beginning but soon got use to them.

airedale

Visit site
donkeys - they carry lungworm and contaminate pastures for many years.

mine cross graze with poultry, geese, sheep and ducks happily.

riotgirl

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lol thankies everyone. So, to clarrify, I can keep them with anything except lions and Tigers and bears...oh my. xxxxxx

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, it is advice like this that makes me appreciate how important this forum is to the equestrian community.
wink.gif