Keeping tack safe...

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
<font color="669999">From THEIVES!
shocked.gif

Hokay, we're taking part in a horse share in the spring! That's two horses, who'll need light rugs and winter rugs and a whole set of tack each. The thing is, we don't know how to pass over the tack to the sharer, and get it back again! (we'll be going to the yard every other day) The yard we want to keep the horsies at doesn't have a lockable tack room.

Here're some ideas, most of which are pretty impractacle.

- Ask the YO (I know what it means now!
laugh.gif
) to keep it at his house. (not likely. seems rude)

- Get the sharers to buy their own set of tack. (doesn't seem a very good idea)

- Buy a lockable metal crate and keep the stuff in there. This seems the only decent option at the moment. </font>

Tempi

Visit site
im no quite sure what you mean - do you mean that you and another person are going to be sharing a horse together, but there is nowhere safe at the yard to keep the horses tack?

I dont leave my tack at the yard either - on the days Bloss's sharer has her i leave her tack at the yard in the morning for her underneath my rugs. They have one of my old saddles for her now, so they keep that and i just leave the bridle when they need it.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Make sure that you get all your tack and rugs etc post coded so that if it is recovered after theft it can be identified and returned to you. Although a lot of tack is recovered after theft unless it is post coded it is impossible to identify the owner.

You could buy a tack safe (which you should also post code) but you will need to install it (bolt it on) on to a substantial concrete base.

dieseldog

Visit site
I'm confused, do you already have a horse that you own and are going to share with someone else or are you looking for a horse to share that someone else owns??

dieseldog

Visit site
Well I would choose a yard with better facilities. Although unless you have the right locks on the doors your tack isn't insured at a yard anyway. If the place doesn't have any buildings it won't have any electricity - not much fun in the winter.

Mid

It's a barn with an area for feed and a place where you can groom and tack up if it's raining. It has lights, water and even a loo! It has everything we want, is the closest yard to our house, but it's only downside is the lack of a tack room. My cobby would be turned out all year.

ecrozier

Visit site
What do other people who keep their horses there do? From your post above sounds like you are getting two horses? If so, two sets of tack each is going to get pricey!

Mid

We can just about afford one horse, but we have school, and my parents work - We don't have enough time to be up there every day! Two horses, what with there being 5 of us, all with varying riding ability, seems the best idea :3

filly190

Visit site
A difficult one, I can see your problem. If you are having two horses and two sets of tack. Is it possible for you to alternate the horses on a weekly or half weekly basis so that the tack can be kept and swopped over every few days, then its in safe hands.

Having a secure tack locker - well if bolted the wall, perhaps, I would say the it would be easy for thieves to get into or remove and then there is the issue of insurance because its not in a room etc.

Could you find a very good hiding place, ie make a little den of straw bales, cover them up and keep your tack that way. I dont think theives would bother to go searching a hay/straw stack.

Another way is to dig a hole and put your metal tack locker semi underground and cover the sighted area with something, working in a similar principal as a house floor safe.

You say the yard has a toilet, are there any other outbuildings that you could convert to make a tack room.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Its a big problem!
Im debating ideas for my future livery yard. The idea is to have a tack room which will have a pin coded door (then it can be changed evry week), then every client will have an individual lockable cupboard in this tack room. What do you think? Good idea?

Mid

Yeah!
laugh.gif

And the hole in the ground thing is really clever!
laugh.gif

There's a load of outbuildings - It's a working dairy farm, and there's a huge unused one round the back. Not secure enough for a tack room, but I might ask if we can put our locker there...