keeping weight off retired horse/ponies

poiuytrewq

Visit site
How?!
Current regime for shetland (slightly more weight than desired but slimmed a lot over winter) and Welsh A (was too light now ok)
Is they are in over night and on a wood chip yard some days/ part days with soaked hay.
Turned out with very sparse grass the rest of the time eg- today I left in this morning as frosty then t/ö at 1 pm. Just got in about half an hour ago.
Both are gaining weight. Other than leaving them in for periods with nothing at all (something I'd never do with the big horses) I'm unsure how to limit things further!
The Shetland can be lunged but the Welsh is old. I walk them with the dog a few times a week. Any ideas?

TGM

Visit site
Feed a mix of straw and hay, , use trickle nets or similar slow feeding nets, have the grazing on a track system.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Yes to the barley straw. Mine are in work but still have to spend some time with nothing to eat in order to lose their summer fat over winter. It's not ideal, but neither is obesity/laminitis etc. Do you muzzle? Some people find that helpful.

be positive

Visit site
I have used barley straw for fatties, cannot get oat round here, I didn't mix it with the hay but gave them a small net of soaked hay plus a large net of straw which was kept well topped up at all times so they were never without something to nibble on, it really helped with keeping the weight down as they did not gorge on the straw or the hay as they were not really so hungry.
I tried them on honeychop this winter but they were not really keen so I will be getting in some more barley straw as they seem to prefer that.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ok, I used Barley straw to bed them on but swapped to shavings thinking they were eating their own body weight in bedding a night! It will use that up and help ease my guilt!
I dont muzzle no. Simply because the welsh is a new addition to live in the rubbish grazing with the shetland so he didn't have to be muzzled! ( previously i tried to keep him with the bigger horses on better grass but muzzled) He's impossible to keep one on. Ive tried every make and model and plaited them in/added headcollars you name it I tried it! I also think i have so little grass they just wouldn't get anything.
I do plan to put another horse for a few hours a day out in their little paddock to help eat any spring grass that is creeping up.