Keeping your car clean…….

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I’ve just got a new (to me) car…..my cars are always total sheds so I didn’t spend a lot, but I love this one and would like to keep it spotless like it is now 😊

I’ve ordered a rubber mat to line the boot, and also a boot liner to go over that, I’m proposing to pop a crate in there for when they are muddy.

How do you keep your car seats clean? Any seat covers you would recommend? Colin moults over everything…..

I’m wondering if it would be excessive to have one car for dogs/horse stuff and one car for work 🤣🤣

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Ah…. maybe I’ll have to do that then….. I’m already traumatised because there is dried mud from my riding boots in the drivers footwell 😳

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Get or make a cover for the crate. We were surprised how filthy the roof lining above the crate got. Perhaps when the dog shook?

Thats a very good call thank you - my two always come back covered from head to foot because Flora climbs all over Colin in the crate 🤦‍♀️

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Get a box rather than a wire crate and never have them in the body of the car. There are always loads on Facebook Marketplace.

I know this is a stupid question - but presumably solid sides rather than mesh with a box?

ETA - oh yes, dog boxes come up in a search…. solid sides

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
@Meredith Yes it has - I used to have a VW Golf estate and noticed how the back ledge always got covered in mud, now I have a Hyundai i30 so more hatchbacky but I’ve only got the two small ones so I can lift them in and out

oldandgold

Visit site
We've got a Danish Design Car seat cover on our rear seats. The dogs don't go on the rear seats but it is handy to have when chucking muddy wellies, leads etc in the back. They are easy to wash and dry fairly quickly.

Nicnac

Visit site
We always keep a dog mobile 🤣 aka Mr Nicnac's car and I get the nice one. In my car I have mat which attaches to back head rests and covers everything plus a Ruff & Tumble drying coat to wrap when wet/muddy. I also leave my boot open if it's had wet dog in to dry it out and get rid of wet dog smell. Never put dogs in actual car always in boot.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ah…. maybe I’ll have to do that then….. I’m already traumatised because there is dried mud from my riding boots in the drivers footwell 😳
A hand brush kept in a carrier bag, brush round boots before getting in (or use one of those cheapo hoofpicks that has a brush on one side, can also run in under boot in front of heel).

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I can get the link If if any interest but my OH sent me one yesterday for some really good looking mats.
Not the usual but made to fit each car and cover the whole carpet £129 I think for all.
He sent it for our car but the dogs don’t go in it ever so seemed a bit excessive.
I’d buy for my van but only need the front and that’s not an option

EnduroRider

Visit site
Agree on a dog box, we have a TransK9. Keeps dog safe but is also a handy container for bringing grotty horse things home for washing! Also recommend the fans that clip on the front if you're concerned about over heating.

Also, rubber mats throughout the car and a pair of shoes that are only ever used for going from the house to the car and driving in. Yard boots always stored in a boot bag and swapped in to at the yard, it makes a massive difference to keeping not just footwells but the whole inside clean.

pistolpete

Visit site
I have faux leather seat covers. Can be wiped down. I use a plastic box for my riding boots. My car is still messy but not as bad as it would be I suppose! Muffin cases in drinks holes are a hack I saw on tv this week!

EventingMum

Visit site
I think the only option is a crate or dog guard so they are not on the seats as no matter what you do dog hair will get everywhere. We have two Ferplast Atlas Crates to use depending on the number of terriers we have. The 100cm one takes all three very comfortably, I have a wipe clean foam mattress and vet bed in it which can be easily cleaned. A box or boot bag for your riding boots works well so you change footwear before you drive. I've had UK Covers seat covers in the past which were waterproof and easily cleaned but they don't seem to be available now.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
I had every intention of keeping my car clean and managed it for about a year. Then I had to start giving my sister and her dog a lift and it all went to pot. Disgusting now. The other car is cleanish and used for shopping and giving (clean) people lifts.

See that’s exactly why I want 2 cars 😃 Just me in the household so perhaps a little excessive but so easy 😃

ArklePig

Visit site
I never let my dog in the interior of the nice car- have a crate on top of a boot liner in the boot and then I wash the blankets from the crate as often as I remember (which is usually whenever I start to smell them ). In our not so nice car for short journeys she sits on a seat cover with a seat belt harness, but it does f all good tbh, the seats are still somehow covered in her hair!