Keeping your horse's focus when schooling in a field

Mince Pie

Visit site
The yard I've just moved to hasn't got a school, just a flat-ish bit of field to ride in. I'm told that unless I want to pay £££ I won't find a school locally either. We've never schooled in a field before and when I tried it the other day my pony just wouldn't focus at all, just gawped at everything around us and I really struggled to get his attention. I've tried shoulder in/leg yield/serpentines with transitions over the centre line/lots of transitions etc but I just can't get him to listen to me, is it just a case of practice makes perfect or is there something else I can try? Also can you do lateral work going downhill or is it better to be doing it uphill? All this has made me realise just how spoiled I was in Surrey!

slumdog

Visit site
I can't help but I have exactly the same problem! I also find it hard to motivate myself to school properly in a field! It also doesn't help that my eventer who has been ridden in a field is fine, but my spolit showjumper thinks fields are for playing and eating and has turned into a nappy git from hell! Would also be interested in people's thoughts!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would start slowly, and build it up. It is a different type of fitness on a slope, plus they can be less confident of the footing.

I would start in walk, and concentrate on WHERE you are going, accurately. Drop 4 jumpers on the floor or something to mark out your schooling area. Make turns and circle smooth and straight straight.

IMO people are less disciplined themselves when schooling in a field, so the horses follow pronto.

Only once you are both concentrating go forward to trot, but keep the session short, and then the horse will more likely find it easy to be "successful".

As an eventer I would expect my boy to do lateral work up or down, but most things are easier uphill to start with.

3Beasties

Visit site
I don't have a school so have to use a field for schooling and jumping in. When I first used to ride in there they were both a bit looky and silly but now they are no different to how they would be in a school.

As Red-1 said, just start slowly and build up. It might be an idea to lunge them in the field for a few days first so that they can get it out of their system and realise that they are there to 'work'. When you get on I would also give them 10 mins on a loose rein, allowing them to look at everything before you pick up the reins and ask them to listen.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Hi, thanks. It's not the field he's being turned out in so shouldn't be a case of him thinking it's play time. He's quite a spooky pony anyway, and very sensitive so I want to avoid a battle if possible as it ends up with him getting very upset. I will try the walk schooling and see how it goes :)

ironhorse

Visit site
They do just get better the more that you do. Last summer I had the choice of two fields or a tiny indoor for my 5yo - getting to the flat bit of one field meant going down a very steep hill and dodging the sheep/cattle; the other I could only use between June and July as the ground was too wet and then too hard, but we coped.
Just keep working steadily until he settles - do something repetitive like trotting a large figure of eight. This is calming but the changes of direction keep his attention. To do lateral work you really need some markers - perhaps a bush or tree in the hedgeline to focus on and keep you straight, and I would definitely start working up hill. One thing to bear in mind is that grass can be slippy especially if you are used to working on a surface, so avoid small circles especially if the grass is wet or the ground is firm.
Its good to still work on a surface occasionally and the ground in the field may not always be suitable to do more than walk, so is there anywhere that you can hire occasionally to give you a change of scene?

MissTyc

Visit site
Agree with all of the above - practice definitely makes perfect and if you start in walk, being very very nitpicky about obedience then they should soon settle to it.

I don't have a school either and can now school all of mine in any field, even their turnout or any field out hacking. At first it was total distraction, but they really do learn that this is the new "school". Helpful for eventing or dressage on grass as well, as they can settle to work on any surface. My filly who was born at home has never known any different and is still fascinating by surfaces when we encounter them bless her.

jess_asterix

Visit site
Time and patience. If the horse is used to normally being 'worked' in an arena it won't associate the field with work.

I went to ride a friends horse last night in a 30 acre field but because that is where he is used to doing his work he was absolutely fine, Herbie on the other hand would have taken a long time to settle as it's a big open space and that's super exciting!

Just take your time to get relaxation in the walk then the trot, keep the paces steady don't let them rush around. Smallish circles are ideal and will encourage the horse to relax more as can't set against you like on a straight line. No point asking for shoulder in and leg yield if they are not relaxed over their back. Focus on slowing everything down and getting the horse to drop his neck and stay round before you put the pressure on and start asking for more.