Kennelled at night but in during the day

Patchworkpony

Visit site
May I ask how many of you keep a single dog kennelled at night but in with the family during the day? If so does it work or do they get stressed. I really mean working dogs that have a job do.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd rather it was the other way around. Naturally they would be out doing things and foraging during the day and piled up with a pack/family in the den at night. It could be seen as isolation to do it the other way about. Both of mine are working dogs but they are out during the day and in at night.

twiggy2

Visit site
Is there a reason that makes it more workable for you that way round?
I would say if you are doing that you need heated kennels, as the dog will be outside during the coldest hrs and when less active.
I would rather crate the dog in the house at night that put out in a kennel though.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We used to but the house wasn't particularly warm, we didn't have central heating and all the dogs, upwards of 5 at different, times were all in the same building, which had been used as a room with electric light and plastered walls, we put plenty of straw in and theyw ere very snuggly. We did keep the oldies inside all the time. We kept 2 Labs to be 15, doing that and that the oldest we have ever had.

Clodagh

Visit site
We always had our dog in the house (working and pet lab) and she went out at night. She had a deep straw bed in her kennel and made a den and was always warm.
OH's family used to do the same.
In both cases the dogs used to ask to go out at their normal bed time and never showed any issues with being out there.
The kennels were also used after shooitng for an hour or so to dry the mud off.
I think we have all got softer nowadays, mine are all house dogs and Tawny sleeps on the bed!