Keratoma experiences

emilylou

Visit site
After a vet visit today I am faced with the possibility that my horse has a keratoma in his off fore hoof, I am awaiting x-rays next week to confirm the diagnosis but it is looking likely.
The treatment is surgery to remove the growth, then box rest until the hoof grows down again- approx 6-9 months.

Has anyone dealt with this first hand? The prognosis is apparently quite good after the (long) rehab, but I am feeling very miserable about it so would be great to hear from others who have been through this with a horse.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
If you look on the fell pony group on FB, a lady I know has a pony who’s just about recovered and is back in light work now after a keratoma, she’s documented the progress. Lownthwaite Catleran.

doodle

Visit site
Friends horse had it. It grow out quickly and he was out before that length of tine with no issues since.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine is recovering/recovered from a Keratoma op.
His was right hind and taken about a quarter of his pedal bone. He had the op in june last year.
Was done by key hole and standing sedation.
He was a good six/eight weeks box rest, bandage change every three days then extended out.
Was allowed inhand grazing at eight weeks and by three months after the op he was allowed small paddock rest.

Got back on after 6 months.

Had a set back about 8 months of a big abcess which on xray had two holes on top of each other so have been waiting and its now grown out. Have been riding in the school with nappy, vet wrap and duct tape on.
Most of them have a abcess set back at some point.

Have a look at the face book page Equine Keratoma Support.

Will try and attach a pic

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
This was taken begining of the year. He had the heart bar on for 8ish months as we needed to stop the hoof flexing so everything could heal.
He is back full barefoot now.

Attachments

• 20180214_212532.jpg
    20180214_212532.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 8

scats

Visit site
Small world! I was on the yard next to Nici and we have lots of mutual friends 👋🏼

Small world! I met her through showing many years ago and then she had one of our ponies up at hers for a short while. She’s a lovely lady and has done a fantastic job with Cat. I’ve followed all her posts and photos about it and it’s been fascinating.

emilylou

Visit site
Thank you so much, that's all really encouraging to hear. I'll definitely join the facebook group. Sounds super helpful!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve just been reading about a horse which this has been suggested for in vetchat on Facebook.
Probably not much help to you as this owner had posted asking for help! But might be worth a look incase someone knowledgable comes along!
Have to say if the horse in the fb post were mine she would be pts :( (it’s 30 and very sore)

Austen123

Visit site
my youngster has a (thankfully) small one. She had an op to have it removed. was on box rest for just under 5 weeks and then small paddock. Luckily is was during the dry summer . got back on her after 4 months and started to build up from there.