Kerilli et al need serious advice XC please..........

KatB

Visit site
I have never actually seen you go xc, same as a majority of people who have replied, so I do think its very dangerous for people to suggest bigger courses for anyone without seeing them go round in the flesh!

However, I too have a horse who would prefer to go off a long stride, and I have to make sure she is really strongly between hand and leg and in a good quality canter to get her to a deeper spot. Taking a pull on the way in on a forward going horse is natural, but is exactly what will result in jumps like you experienced when you came off as without doing it in balance you can just run them into the bottom of fences as they "tow" you. The best thing I find is really getting your shoulders back far away from the fence that you can make adjustments, and reallly using your leg to get then engaged and "sitting up" and then softly letting the fence come to you. Almost sjing it, but thinking of compressing the horse into the rein with your leg, and not pulling them back, you want all the power uphill, not fast and flat.

Hope that makes sense, and you get your mojo back soon :) x

KatB

Visit site
Oh, and in regards to the tack changes, if you increase the brakes, you need to make sure the engine is powerful enough to cope with more sudden changes, so generally being prepared to use more leg! However, if they are naturally strong, then increased braking with them being in front of the leg can just help you get more balance with less being towed about! :)

Pidgeon

Visit site
Had no working mobile for a week hence couldn't reply to your text K&S. If I can get some of Baydales brave pants then I would probably jump bigger as he is more than capable of the fences, its just me that holds him back.
Yes missus you need to grow some too and they admitted liability so their insurance is coughing up for the mirror and paint job :D
Kat, don't worry I will only jump bigger when I want to as I know my limits confidence wise whereas Pig is more than capable of jumping far bigger than I will ever want to! I have no problem sitting over a bigger fence but its just my confidence lets me down.
See normally I don't worry about where he takes off as my job is to get him to fence and his is to get over it. The only time I interfere is when I have to tell him not to take off too far away when is really enjoying himself and super confident. It was purely just too much brakes with the grackle and so I've got a lesson booked and will put the drop back on. If he takes the pee back in that noseband I'll try the grackle again but will make the signals a lot softer. I've never really had a problem with him being fast and flat though.

Darremi

Visit site
Your horse is beautiful and obviously knows his job! I would definitely agree that the fewer gadgets the better. Personally I am not a fan of the mexican grackle as I think they can pinch around where the flash part crosses under the bit, and this can cause the horse to be fussy in the contact. I would always use a cavesson or flash as the drop noseband sits very low and puts pressure on the soft nasal tissue above the nostrils. I'm sure you know best :)

Good luck, you're doing a great job and just remember to have fun!

Pidgeon

Visit site
Thanks and don't worry when I use the drop it is fastening high above the soft part and actually quite loose, unlike some drops fitted I have seen :eek: