Kevin update

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Well today we approach the test to see how Kevin is. He has had a month in the field on his own but next door to his mate, Ffin. He is a lot happier in himself, weight is back on, coat is shiny and he is feeling good. He has been on PSSM supplements for three weeks. (just in case) The other day he refused to be caught by my friend Helen, who had arrived to help me with some greasy patches on his pasterns. He played chase me, chase me, cantering 10 metre circles just out of her reach. She was bright red and very fed up when I arrived. Took two ciggies to calm her down ( :D ) Of course as he has put on condition I am doing a saddle check today, and tomorrow Helen will ride in the field and we will see if he is reactive on the left rein. Also dentist is coming to examine teeth, just in case. If no reaction, light hacking is on the cards, if he is reactive I will be scanning his lump. I will be scanning his lump anyhow but will wait until first vet bill is paid. Then I will xray hocks. In order to keep my Chiro vet out of any professional dilemmas, as he is being seen by her old boss and mentor, I rang a back lady who had been recommended to me, only to receive a really odd text diagnosing all his issues, which she had felt during our 30 sec conversation. I've cancelled the visit, all of the issues would have been spotted by anyone of the professionals that deal with my horses, the fact that my horse might have that many things wrong with him and ALL the professionals miss them all, struck me as a bit odd.

wish us luck

Just hoping Kev will be up for being a happy hack.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you! Just wondering who your chiro vet/back lady you were recommended were? I'm in Kent too and know a brilliant chiro/back lady who comes out to mine, if you were looking. But obviously you may have tried her already! Feel free to shoot me a PM :)

HeresHoping

Visit site
Good luck. Fingers crossed. He will enjoy being a happy hack, I am sure. And who knows, if a canter on a 10m circle is doable in his opinion, it may be back to competition before you know it.

Odd behaviour from the back lady.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Kevin had the saddler Friday and we were ready to give riding a go. As my hand is only half healed and still sore, I have Helen to ride. Kevin was not happy as soon as the saddle came out. Once Helen ( all 8 stone of her) was up Kevin refused to move forward. I led him and we went up the road. He took every opportunity to stop and plant. We tried him in the field and he was the same , very reluctant to move forward. Once we got him round on both reins we quit, vet informed.
I do know how to push him through a plant. However we rode though that stage last time and it ended up with him bolting.
Vet emailed, awaiting reply.
Dentist has been, mouth fine.

Ceriann

Visit site
My charity mare showed similar symptoms - backed start of last year but last September just refused to move under saddle. I did all the usual checks, she was scoped and then treated for ulcers (2s and 3s) but despite scoping clear has only improved to walk under saddle (this took months) - trot is a no go. Vet wanted to inject hocks though X-Rays clear. I tested her for pssm but clear. She's happy in field but when saddle comes out . . . ! Due to ulcers (I don't want them back) and because she's had a rough time of it before being re-homed I've decided to just turn her away. I really feel for you as I had months of getting on for 5 minutes and making so few improvements. Fingers crossed for you.

SEL

Visit site
That is exactly what my PSSM horse used to do - although she used to run backwards at high speed when pushed through the plant. It's definitely a pain response with her because right now with the PSSM under control (I'm probably the only person who is pleased the grass isn't growing) she's an absolute sweety even with her untreated arthritic hocks.

My saddler had to lift the back of the saddle up though because she hates the pressure on her back muscles - foam inserts in the numnah.

Would you say he's got worse being out on grass? I was talking to a retired RS teacher about PSSM today and she said that before these diseases were named they always had a few heavier horses on the yard that couldn't do grass.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
That is exactly what my PSSM horse used to do - although she used to run backwards at high speed when pushed through the plant. It's definitely a pain response with her because right now with the PSSM under control (I'm probably the only person who is pleased the grass isn't growing) she's an absolute sweety even with her untreated arthritic hocks.

My saddler had to lift the back of the saddle up though because she hates the pressure on her back muscles - foam inserts in the numnah.

Would you say he's got worse being out on grass? I was talking to a retired RS teacher about PSSM today and she said that before these diseases were named they always had a few heavier horses on the yard that couldn't do grass.

To be honest SEL, no, I would say he has improved since he has been out. This all started when he came in for winter, or there abouts.
He looks a whole lot better, he is happier in himself. He is on alcer and vit E but I can honestly say I have seen no improvement in him . He went all last year stuffing his face on grass and no issue. I am pretty sure in this case it is not PSSM. I will continue to give him the stuff and then let him come off, when it runs out and see what happens,
I am always careful with how much grass all my horses have.
My saddler has also lifted the saddle, I think Kevin is more sensitive in the girth area. just bought a fluffy sleeve to try, Its lovely, I want to keep it as a pet.

To be honest I'm beginning to think its a bony problem, coupled with the sheer bad handling he has had, he is terrified . I am going to try him out with another horse. If that doesn't work I think I might retire him.

I might be in jail because I will kill the next "expert" that tells me to "push" him through the plants ( They mean beat/kick the **** out of him) I did push him through last time, by wiggling the crop over his ears. Worked every time, he then started bolting to show me he was in pain. I personally prefer the planting.

SEL

Visit site
"Pushing" through the plant took me backwards into a huge drainage ditch - so I'm with you there!

I've retired my Ardennes even tho I'm told I could still ride him. His ringbone is awful and he's too nice natured to be nasty when he's hurting - he's happy being a hairy pet and I'm happy to let him. I'm sure yours will be happy too, although it's frustrating not to have answers.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
"Pushing" through the plant took me backwards into a huge drainage ditch - so I'm with you there!

I've retired my Ardennes even tho I'm told I could still ride him. His ringbone is awful and he's too nice natured to be nasty when he's hurting - he's happy being a hairy pet and I'm happy to let him. I'm sure yours will be happy too, although it's frustrating not to have answers.

My own vet said I could spend £10,000 and still not get an answer, I'm willing to push a bit more and maybe , on vets advice , do some X-rays. However, not sure how much more I can stand. It's all the conflicting advice and everyone so interesting in saving my money. I'd rather see him happy in a field and retired then put myself through the mill ( and another bolt!) selfish maybe but I'm getting on now.

Ceriann

Visit site
My own vet said I could spend £10,000 and still not get an answer, I'm willing to push a bit more and maybe , on vets advice , do some X-rays. However, not sure how much more I can stand. It's all the conflicting advice and everyone so interesting in saving my money. I'd rather see him happy in a field and retired then put myself through the mill ( and another bolt!) selfish maybe but I'm getting on now.

This is where I got to with my little mare - had so many tell me she was trying it on and I needed to work her through it. I knew if I did she would feel backed into a corner and who knows what might happen - she's not a nasty horse, hence the polite messages about ride work. I've had too many bad falls to risk it. It's so difficult knowing there is something wrong but not knowing what and the symptoms could be any number of things, not all of which can be successfully treated.