Kia Sorento 2.2

Myloubylou

Visit site
Hi, I am despairing slightly in ever finding reliable transport for 2 15.2hh cobs. I have discounted 3.5 ton boxes as insufficient payload and the 5-6.5t are either out of my budget or very old. Really don't want a 7.5 ton. I started looking at older Kia Sorento's but have seen that the post 2010 models can still tow 2500kh. I think the two cobs + iw505 will be between 2000-2100kg so should be ok. Does anyone have one that can comment what it's like for towing? Is 2nd car so not as concerned about mpg. I already have trailer & have B+E licence but never towed before as my friend was the one with a tow car. TIA

Diamore

Visit site
Just bear in mind that the sorento has a big known fault for the tank degrading and causing cut out, have first hand experience with 2 of these and both developed this fault. They were 06 plate.

molly7886

Visit site
I had an old one (04 reg) which was fabulous for towing) I upgraded to a newer one (2011) model which doesn't have quite as much umph but still happily pulled my trailer with 2 horses on board so about the weight you're looking at. It's got much more spec than old one so I actually enjoy driving it as an everyday car.
I am however likely to sell it soon due to a change in circa not because of its ability!

Lizzie66

Visit site
We looked at Kia Sorento and went for an 05 one happy with it so far. I ideally wanted a manual but ended up with an auto but be aware on the current model the automatic tows 500kg less than the manual. I nearly had a panic attack when I sent hubby off to buy ours and found this out and had to check the older model was ok pdq !!

stilltrying

Visit site
I had an 04 plate Sorento and it was great for towing. It did start to show its age though in the build quality sense, but i think the newer kia's are supposed to be a bit better . But mechanically and towing wise I couldn't fault it.

StableMum

Visit site
I've got a 57 Sorento, manuel. It tows our Equi-trek brilliantly, and it's good as an everyday car too.

Last edited:

Janovich

Visit site
I've got a Sorento XT Manual (on an 06)...and it tows like a dream...you don't really know you've got anything behind you to be honest.. Love it. I never thought i'd stray from Shoguns.. but this car i'm very very impressed with on the whole.

Moomin1

Visit site
Reading this with interest as I am currently looking at Sorentos. Looking at 04 models price wise. Can I ask those who have them, what are they like economically speaking?

Clannad48

Visit site
Just bear in mind that the sorento has a big known fault for the tank degrading and causing cut out, have first hand experience with 2 of these and both developed this fault. They were 06 plate.

I purchased an 05 plate Sorento XE 2.5CRD Automatic with 105k on the clock a year ago. It is terrific for towing and despite having an issue with the tank delamination as mentioned above, the Kia dealership (who I did not buy it from) sorted it all with a new tank, flushed out the lines, flushed and then replaced the fuel filter all for free - providing me with a courtesy car for the day. The Sorento even came back immaculate and cleaned, bearing in mind I had used it for transporting 10 bales of hay in the back, a couple of days earlier.

Clannad48

Visit site
Reading this with interest as I am currently looking at Sorentos. Looking at 04 models price wise. Can I ask those who have them, what are they like economically speaking?

Automatic 05 plate 2.5CRDi with 110k on the clock currently averaging 25mpg (but I am known for having a heavy right foot) approximately 23mpg when towing an Ifor 505 with a DWB on board. Very smooth towing with the automatic.