kicking himself!

serena2005

Visit site
my horse has a very bad habit of kicking himself with his back feet, the farrier has rebalanced his feet to try and help him to stop doing this and it has hepled a bit.

iv tried:
brushing boots
sasusage boot
over reach boots (but the strap broke waiting to get another one)

i lunged him to day and he almost kicked his leg from underneath himself! he was kicking his fetlock and cornet band but since farrier has seen him hes kicking his hooves...

any ideas?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
How old is he & how much training has he had? You may find that if he's a youngster he isn't balanced in his paces & while you are working on these you will need him to wear turn out boots that protect the rear canon & fetlock down to the hoof. As his balance improves he will stop doing it. If he's an older lad with a fair amount of training then I'm not sure, possibly a back problem which may need looking at. I hope this is of some help to you. Good Luck

serena2005

Visit site
he is 6 and very unbalanced, his balance is improving
what do you mean by turn out boots? i have equi chaps, they cover the canon bone and go down to the hoof, would they be ok to ride in, they seem quite restricting.

thanks for your help

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i lunged him to day and he almost kicked his leg from underneath himself! he was kicking his fetlock and cornet band but since farrier has seen him hes kicking his hooves...

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't lunge him??
tongue.gif

Seriously though - never work him without overreach boots on if he is pre-disposed to overreaching. Also - what kind of tempo are you working him at. Perhaps you need to slow it down a bit. Most horses overreach when going too fast, thereby becoming unbalanced.

Might well be worth getting someone to look at him when you are working him to see what they think.

serena2005

Visit site
yes it gets worse when he rushes. i try and keep him at a steady pace but unless he is concerntrating he kicks himself nearly every step.
i rode today and i could hear him doing it, i havent been able to put any boots on his back feet (over reach boots) as they rubbed and so did the sasuage boot, iv got some other over reach boots to try when the rubbs have healed.

the physio saw me lunge and ride him, before and after he had a massage, she said when his legs muscle up more it should stop, but of course after the massage he hardly did it,
she said over reach boots on the back, its just finding some to fit a horse with no heals! he keeps treading on them thats how he got the sores.