Kicking myself for getting off today!!

lhotse

Visit site
Well, took my mare out for a hack earlier but curtailed it and turned round as the weather was deteriorating rapidly and the wind was picking up (she doesn't like the wind). She hadn't been out in the field prior so was a bit onward going but behaving and we had a good trot back along the lane to the main road. Down the main road at a march but still behaving then turned onto the track to my yard and someone was having a lesson in the school at the start of the track. Very noisy instructor, lots of laughing and strange horse in school hitting a jump pole. Que my mare getting her knickers in a twist over nothing and when she starts, she really starts! She will go up if you don't kick on, which I would normally do, push her into a trot and she would forget about it. However, the track down to my yard is full of potholes and large stones so trotting down it is something I just don't do. She tripped last week in a hole and landed on her nose.
So I made the split second decision to jump off, rather than have her rearing and being a prat. I then led her back to the yard, still rather unsettled but under control, with no rearing. I didn't however get back on, which in hindsight maybe I should have done. Normally the return down the track is on a loose rein and a wind down. Not today!!
I'm sure I made the right decision for both of us, I would not normally get off though as always feel more in control on top. Just didn't fancy either of us getting hurt.
Yesterday's hack was spent sitting on a timebomb yet she handled the tree surgeons, diggers huge tarps and sawmill without a single blip, so I'm guessing she has had her explosion and we'll go back to normal service tomorrow.
Bloody arab mare!!!

AngieandBen

Visit site
I never see getting off and leading as a bad thing, only positive; Ben is one of the safest ponies I know, but even he will get in a panic and some things; ie a pile of tyres thrown on the verge. Nothing wrong in getting off and reassuring them its ok :)

He's part arab, part welsh c so has his moments!

Baileybones

Visit site
I'd have done the same as you :)

She won't be thinking "excellent - this is what we'll do every time from now on".
You haven't started a habit just handled a difficult situation today.

I was also a bit annoyed with myself yesterday as decided not to get back on my mare. She's had 4 months off and when I lunged her yesterday we ended up with company in the school in the form of a fly bucking horse and teenage rider. So yes disappointed not to get on but figured it wasn't the right day.

Went back down today and had school to ourselves so jumped on and she was brilliant! All about picking your moments :)

lhotse

Visit site
Roll on summer and the return to normally behaved horses!!! She's 99% of the time perfect and doesn't stress about stuff, today wasn't about being scared, it was just an excuse to kick off. My old mare was much more of a tiz-waz about stuff but she would keep all four feet on the ground even if it was sideways, backwards, piaffe etc so never felt the need to get off. Well, have had this mare nearly two years and this is only the second time I've needed to get off, the other time was when riding down a field and the horses the other side of the electric decided to gallop off down the hill, so don't think I'm doing too badly!!

Tobiano

Visit site
Wouldnt worry lhotse ... main thing is you are here & able to post this and there will be lots more times of hacking down the drive on the buckle :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I say don't worry, personally I have never seen the issue in hopping off, tomorrow is another day, do not think about it now, you walked the last leg in a controlled manner, you both got home safe, there is nothing to regret

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
You did what was safe for both of you. I don't see the problem. Maybe there would be less horse related injuries if riders took sensible decisions more often.

lhotse

Visit site
She'd forgotten all about it once I opened the gate into the yard. I have a mantra that a friend told me about horses "20 seconds and it's a new day".

SarahF

Visit site
Ditto everyone else's replies. If you don't even feel comfortable trotting on said track - I'm pretty sure a rear-fest wouldn't have been a great idea either.
Sounds like you used your brain - no kicking yourself today please! :D

Ps liking that mantra!

lhotse

Visit site
Aahhhh, normal service is resumed. Two hour hack in the sunshine with not so much as a blip!!
Should have added that it's not unusual for me to lead her back down the track to home, often do it in the summer after a long ride to let her back cool a bit, but as the lane floods in winter, I got wet feet yesterday!!!

LaMooch

Visit site
My friends TB if he plays up is a lot safer to dismount and lead him. He trusts me more from the ground and will follow past something scary as I have done a lot of ground work with him and he puts faith in me. I'm quite proud of the work I've done with him as the bond I have with this horse that's not mine. I ride him 2/3 times a week if I can and currently his only jockey and have for 6 years plus. I can read him like a book. I think if a horse can trust you to lead them/ride past something scary then it shows they have respect for you.

Alyth

Visit site
It is always safer to get off if eruptions are imminent.....you can do so much more on the ground than if you are catapulted off and hurt.....and if you have groundwork techniques you can use you are even better able to deal with explosive situations....

Pale Rider

Visit site
It is always safer to get off if eruptions are imminent.....you can do so much more on the ground than if you are catapulted off and hurt.....and if you have groundwork techniques you can use you are even better able to deal with explosive situations....
This is good advice, if you're nervous or apprehensive your horse will know, and it will make the situation worse,not just this time but next and again after that, if you don't get off and sort it on the ground.