Kicking. The foal at me! What should I do?

Enfys

Visit site
Naughty Isabella has discovered that she can stand on her front feet and kick. She is kicking her Mum, the dog, the feed bowl, the walls of the stable, clumps of grass, ME
frown.gif
She is perfectly friendly and not scared or in pain, I think she is just experimenting, but small as she is I really don't want her backing up to people and then double barrelling them and for it to become a habit. This is the first foal I've bred that has done this, a very confident and self-opinionated character. I'm just interested in other peoples' experiences and opinions.

Advice on what to do please.

At the moment I am shouting/growling at her and pushing her away, that has worked today (she is startled but not scared)

I've watched Lola when she gets kicked and she ignores her baby, but I don't know if I should do that too, maybe no reaction is better than any reaction?

Thankyou

Tia

Visit site
This is totally normal behaviour - don't be alarmed. Foals are all born with the kicking instinct and at about 2 to 3 weeks old they show it!! To everyone!!!
laugh.gif

She'll stop doing it soon. Always have a halter on her when you are in the field with her and always hold her by this when you are doing anything; obviously try to keep away from her bottom as she will kick you. One other thing that I did to discourage Legacy (and it worked) was every time she went to buck at me I would turn around and lift my leg making it look like I was going to kick her back.....she soon moved off!

Legacy no longer does this and she probably only played around with this "trick" for about 10 days in all; so have no fear Isabella will stop.
cool.gif

apkelly01

Visit site
Thanks Enfys and Tia as this was a question I have as well! Bandit hasn't tried to kick me but you can see he's learning what his back end is for! I've seen him with his mum and she just ignores him
smile.gif

Enfys

Visit site
Thanks Tia, everything you say is as I thought. I'll remember the "I'll kick you back" thing for next time.
This is the difference with having a foal at home on the doorstep and all the time in the world to watch and spend time with her, to having just a few hours at the yard with all the others. Lots of things that I'm noticing now that I hadn't been around all the time to see with the other foals..

R4RUDI

Visit site
Have to say I agree with Tia. Mine kicked out at me and caught me, just skimming my leg, so I kicked her back. I don't normally go round randomly kicking horses I hasten to add but she never kicked out at me again!

ColouredFan

Visit site
Mine kicked out at me both barrels and just missed me, I kicked him back and he has never done it again since, My friends foal is the same age and he kicks out at her all the time she shouts and pushes him away but this doesnt seem to be enough as he is still doing it. Felt really guilty about kicking him back, but i am only 5'2 and he is already taller than my waist so cant let him walk all over me! His mum has started to kick out at him now after 6 weeks of him annoying her! wondered how long she would put up with it for, he has a real thing about biting her hocks!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Mine double barrelled my friend age 5days and was smacked for it, then tried it on me a couple of days later. Smacked and chased - and hasn't done it since (I didn't smack her hard, I hasten to add, no desire to damage her).
Her experiment was over - thankfully.
We also trained her to only ever approach us in walk...best plan ever - she'll come flying up the field, acquire a look of concentration, screech to a halt, and walk carefully towards us!
S
smile.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
i agree with tia.
my filly didnt go through a kicking phase more a rearing phase(not at me just nearby if i was ignoring her!)
i did give her a few slaps too(on the shoulder/bum).she only needed telling twice and she has never done it since.
the easiest way is to get a nice uncle or auntie used to babies to do the disapline for you.no shoes obviously.
mares often take all sorts from foals whereas a nice uncle with give them a good nip and chase them to teach them its not acceptable to climb all over everyone and kick out.