KIDS IN SPURS

Naggette

Visit site
What are the rules in pony club for kids wearing spurs. I know you are supposed to get the DC's written permission but many DC's don't know the pony and I have seen LOTS of bad riders with spurs on riding very whizzy ponies who look terrified.

teapot

Visit site
To ride at PC events - comps, rallies etc - they must have written permission from the DC

Outside of the PC, think they can do whatever

Naggette

Visit site
Cheers - any opinions from anybody out there - is it just me or is it a recipe for a fed up pony.

I appreciate in right hands (or legs) they have a use but kids as young as 10 would have to be pretty controlled to use them properly....

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Cheers - any opinions from anybody out there - is it just me or is it a recipe for a fed up pony.

I appreciate in right hands (or legs) they have a use but kids as young as 10 would have to be pretty controlled to use them properly....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thus it is down to the DC to assess, and possibly approve their use
tongue.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
As teapot says; you only don't need permission after you pass your B Test and they are always very hot on checking at all the PC competitions I've been to.

smile.gif

airedale

Visit site
Need DCs permission for 'closed' PC events, rallies, etc.

If it is an Open show run by the PC then no permission is required.

I have a cowpony that knows her job but goes in the ring and goes totally dead. She'll get placed consistently in the Open shows because she can be ridden in spurs. In the closed shows I have to (literally) oat her up to give the kids a chance of getting her moving.

She's not dead to the leg - she's just clever, wily and stubborn and knows if the spurs are there or not.

Personally I'd rather see a kid with reasonable legs wearing spurs than seeing same kid continually kicking and whipping a stubborn pony.

So long as the spurs are kept for 'special occasions' and not for everyday use then it depends on the kid and the pony.

Similarly I hate seeing ponies in snaffles getting socked in the teeth or yanked at as tearaway ponies just because it "should be ridden in a snaffle". I'd far rather put a pony in a fat rubber pelham with roundings and an 'adjustable to the circumstances' curb chain and let the kid ride with light hands and be in charge of the pony and not the pony in charge of the kid.

Patchwork

Visit site
Can you not just get your DC's permission for the child to wear spurs on her? Or have I misread your post?

A lot of 'Open' PC shows around here still specify that Pony Club members need written permission, although I guess it would be hard to enforce except in PC team competitions, etc.

smile.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
At the age of ten my mum bought and broke in her own pony
blush.gif
Her parents hadn't a clue! She rode in spurs, but the little pony did go on to compete at HOYS... However, I'm 14, and I don't think I'm competetent enough to wear spurs, no-matter how easy they make the job. Matter of opinion, really
tongue.gif

Naggette

Visit site
Thanks for opinions. I think the main trouble is many DC's are giving permission to anyone brave enough to ask. I know of a definite case or two where spoiled kids have pestered mums as it is fashionable and a well written letter to the DC has done the trick.

I agree in on ok rider they are very useful.