Kids riding from young age- adverse affects on joints?

TequilaMist

Visit site
After reading other posts regarding kids riding I was just wondering if any one has found their children suffering any affect from this.My neice rode from an early age and since her teens has suffered with hip and knee pains.My daughter (now in her teens) also complains of similiar pain.Dr says the're just normal pains associated with her age(must admit don't buy that one) and daughter doesn't want to stop riding.
Has anyone else found this?Just curious more than anything.

JAK

Visit site
I think they would have to ride/jump excessively for there to be an adverse effect on joints etc., unless they were riding a pony that was a completely unsuitable shape for them, e.g. very wide, so they struggled to reach its sides etc.

There are however other activities that are more damaging to joints etc., such as gymnastics for example or more extreme forms of martial arts, such as kickboxing, which is very hard on growing kids (one of the reasons I finally stopped MD doing the latter!).

Hanz

Visit site
I used to go dancing gymnastics and boxing as well as riding my two horses everyday, I now have to have physio on my back and constantly have bad knees...I am only 15!

tarzipan06

Visit site
This certainly is food for thought - I suffered terrible pains in my joints (particularly cramp)when I was growing up (I've ridden from an early age) and not one Dr put it down to riding, they said it was growing pains- which is interesting to read your nieces experiences as they sound like my ailments - however I am now way into my 30s and have no probs since so Dr could have been right - my kids both started riding from an early age although my daughter also does ballet which can't be terribly good on the old joints.
Interesting one

pixie

Visit site
I didn't start riding at a young age, but at the grand old age of 22 have a very dodgy stiff right hip - probably because when I've fallen off I've landed on that side
wink.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
Yes, I would second that comment. My niece has long termn joint problems as a result of competitive gymnastics - she has also ridden since she was 3 but the gymnaastics seems to have got the blame.

fizz-tally

Visit site
i did gymnastics/ice skating/trampolining to a high level as well as jrn bsja when i was younger, i have pins in both ankles & need a few ops on my knees now as well.
everything other thann riding was blamed
smirk.gif

GinaGem

Visit site
I don't know wether it's related or not but i've been riding since the age of five and have always suffered with cramp in my legs and feet. The doc put it down to growing pains but i still get it now at the age of 22, it has also extended to various other parts including hands, wrists and neck. I also used to do syncronised swimming and had to give up because of the pain. My sister also suffered a similar problem when she used to be at a performing arts school but the pain has stopped since she gave up dancing, again the doctor put it down to her age and growing up.

tarzipan06

Visit site
Yep cramps in feet and legs - I used to be screaming with the pain and now I remember I was forced to do Irish dancing (my mum was so cruel and I still have nasty flashbacks
wink.gif
wink.gif
)
and I had to give that up as my mum put it down to that - they continued until I had a short break from riding in my late twenty's. Been back in the saddle for nearly ten years but touch wood haven't had any since.

sojeph

Visit site
There is a lad thats rides in the same lesson as my daughter who has been told that riding is one of the few sports he can do ATM as he suffers particularly badly with 'growing pains' - something which apparently affects boys more than girls. My son doesn't ride and gets growing pains quite often in his knee joints.

Farm Kat

Visit site
I do agree, I have hip and back problems, always have and I was put on various horses when I learnt to sit up. I now cannot ride anything too wide, jump too much ie 2 rounds!!! or sit for too long. Mine was put down to growing pains, but I have since had chairo/physio etc and apparently have the back of a much older person, so the 'much older' person who has stolen my back and replaced it with theirs - Can I have it back?. It didn't get put down to the riding itself, more the falling off!!!

yoho2

New User
Visit site
i think it is worth bearing in mind that riding is used as a therapy modality for disabled people with joint problems. I think the falls associated with riding are probably more of a problem as are the other activites which go along with riding - heaving heavy buckets, haybales and wheelbarrows for exmaple!

PoppyPony

Visit site
I've riding since I was about 7 and I have always had bad lower back pain, cramp in ankles and other soreness in legs etc, but that might also be growing pains.

Mithras

Visit site
All this sounds very depressing. I've been riding regularly since age 5 with own pony and riding extensively since 12 combined with high level athletics, and still run and ride with no recurring injuries whatsoever and no aches and pains. 32 now. I do find jumping several horses at shows gives me slightly stiff ankles the next day and always use flexible stirrup irons. And if I try to do a race the day after a horse show I sometimes don't perform that well because I'm tired, but thats all.

susan_w

Visit site
Funnily enough, my daughter has been riding from the age of 6 (she's now 16), and she has got this funny growth thing in her leg!

The consultant has described it as a bony spur - but Megan describes it as a splint - LOL. She is always jumping on foot and canters everywhere leading on her right leg, and these have developed in her right calf and foot - she has to go to see the bone consultant regularly to ensure that they are not developing at a faster rate than her normal bone growth - they cause her no pain, and are not that visible, but they are there, so they are keeping an eye on them.

Apparently, they develop in a lot of sporty teenagers, so nothing to worry about.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive always had a back back which flared up after riding for a long time (like a competition / hard lesson etc.). I know of a lot of people who've had bad backs through their childhood until now (all began as youngsters).

So I think it can be a problem, but I think its more to do with your posture and HOW you ride etc. It still a much healthier sport than some others and better (like sparklet) says than sitting in front of a computer like us right now!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I'd never really considered that....
I had a bad back from about the age of 14, (when I rode daily) and was on v.strong pain relief. The docs put it down to growing pains/periods.

When i was pregnant, despite neither of my children being big (7lb 12oz and 6lb 10oz) I had severe siatica (sp?) (well that's what the midwife said it was) and I now cannot ride for long periods of time or in certain saddles without experiencing pain in my lower back and pelvis/ hips.

It's a good point, as I'm hoping my daughter (who will be two) will learn to ride at some point, and my son is ATM learning.

spooks

Visit site
my daughter has been riding since the age of 3 (now 14 ) and currently waiting for physio on her knee as doc says her kneecap is out of place as muscles on one side of her leg are stronger than the other. her friend who is the same age is also having physio for a knee problem

calon

Visit site
my kids are the same so am i one 14yrs one 21 yrs we all suffer the same complaints and all ridden since small kids i do think it has an adverse effect on joints but we will do it wont we

so03

Visit site
My friends osteopath says that children shouldn't ride earlier than 4 as it causes problems in their hips.

I've been riding since I was 6 and my knees do play up in wet/cold weather. Didn't help when I slipped in the mud last year and dislocated my knee and tore my cartilage.

Did one step class once and could hardly walk for over a month as it affected my hips.

sevenoceans

Visit site
Riding since i was young, have lower back and ankle pains and still do but doesn't stop me from doing high level boat racing (which involves alot running, weights as well for stamina) and riding my beloved horse. and i am 29 next week. It's better than watching tv... no pain no gain!

lordflynn

Visit site
started riding at 5 and had terrible pains in my knees from 9-16 and still cant ride very short for any length of time. however, I have very dodgy knee conformation-not sure if I did before or not! Its not really concussive is it-friends of mine who did high level gymnastics as kids are much more knackered then me.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I have ridden since 2 years old but have never had any problems. Joint wise I have very bad confirmation as have hyperflexibility of the joints so maybe this helps me riding? I have terrible knees but rugby/running bought that on and in fact when recovering from surgery I could not walk but could ride.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Gee this is more replies than I thought there would be.I had been wondering if more genetic predisposition with both neice and daughter suffering similiar problems.My daughters knees have actually 'given way' on occasion which sounds a bit severe for growing pains.Neice hasn't been bothered with it as much since she gave up riding yrs ago.
And agree other activities can and do have more same or more serious effect.Girl at yard used to be a serious jnr runner and was told by doc to give up running for this reason.
Neither neice or daughter do other sports so only connection is biological or riding from young age so was just wondering as to be honest if it was known to cause these there hopefully would be more info about it and better advertised (informed choices and all that)
Also think that its better than sitting in front of tv,computer or roaming about with her friends so wouldn't change anything anyhow.And find most thing give you a problem with something even sitting at computer!!
I actually find my back pain slightly better when riding regularly.My thinking is it builds up the muscles there and helps with support.

allijudd

Visit site
i never started riding properly until the grand old age of 19 but i had been dancing from the age of 2, going at least 4 times a week learning ballet, tap and modern and then performing at least 4 shows a year..

i now have no working cruciate ligaments in both knees but the main injuries are cuased by have a hyper mobile spine which you would think would be great...very supple and lots of movement unfortunatly my spine compresses becuase it moves too much and becomes very painful...chris can tell how painful it is when he stretches it for me and we count the clicks..the record is 5 so far.....i also regulary loose about 1 inch in height

i dont think i would have these probelms if i hadnt danced...i just have to make sure i never fall off...