Kieffer Jump Saddles... Thoughts?

nato

Visit site
Have only ever heard reviews of Kieffer Dressage Saddles, would love to hear reviews of Kieffer Jump Saddles - good, bad, ugly?

Are they as adjustable as Kieffer claim them to be? Also general fit, for both horse and rider, are they comfortable, hard wearing, etc?

Skewbaldbow

Visit site
I have a second hand one and it is wearing well (I think it's about 13 years old now) It took a little getting used to as it was a bit harder than my previous saddle but for jumping I love it. I feel really secure in it and find it very comfortable now.

Couldn't tell you if they about adjustability as I've never had to have that done to it as it fits my horse really well.

Mix26

Visit site
I have a Kieffer Dressage and a Jump - Love them both and have had them adjusted to fit a real mixed bag of horses!

Find them both very comfy and durable, my dressage is probably 7/8 years old now and still has very little sign of wear, and I am not OTT about caring for it - Shamefully!

marmalade88

Visit site
I loved my kieffer jump saddle! It was soooo comfy and fit me beautifully, the horse changed shape quite significantly though. Unfortunately there weren't any local saddlers who could alter it for me so I had to sell it.

silv

Visit site
Had a Kieffer GP quite a few years ago, it was quite hard but a very high quality nice saddle. I would have another. The factory/company has updated and apparently they are very adjustable these days, according to a Kieffer rep with whom I had a conversation at a horse show recently.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Have only ever heard reviews of Kieffer Dressage Saddles, would love to hear reviews of Kieffer Jump Saddles - good, bad, ugly?

Are they as adjustable as Kieffer claim them to be? Also general fit, for both horse and rider, are they comfortable, hard wearing, etc?

My experience is limited to KIEFFER dressage saddles. I purchased a beautiful Wien second hand, all measurements were reasonable but when it arrived the pommel was incredibly high and far too narrow as a result.....not a problem I thought, it's adjustable....

So I went through all the proper channels to get it properly adjusted but was advised by a very knowledgeable lady *pm and I'll give you more info* that they aren't as flexible as the propaganda suggests. They can indeed be widened and heat set but doing so can cause the tree to curve so you can easily end up with something that rocks and will never fit. She suggested that there are only a few 'types' which truly fit a KIEFFER tree and they narrow flat-backed TB types (in fairness my TB mare was built like a bus...so it wasn't happening!!)

My local saddler would have been happy to try minor adjustments (I think she has the bench), but these wouldn't have been enough, so I ended up selling the saddle on.

Jump saddles may be totally different, but I'm guessing the technology behind the thermo- adjustable tree is the same so might be worth a thought?

If you could get one which is already a close fit, it might be worth a thought?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Had a Kieffer GP quite a few years ago, it was quite hard but a very high quality nice saddle. I would have another. The factory/company has updated and apparently they are very adjustable these days, according to a Kieffer rep with whom I had a conversation at a horse show recently.

....in fairness the one I'm referring to was probably about ten yrs old at the time. I wonder if heat setting the tree numerous times weakens it? Might be worth thinking about if you're looking for second hand and won't be aware of it's history?

Visit site
My horse is notorious for changing shape and being very sensitive to saddles. I bought a lovely CWD saddle to which when first put on she had me straight off on the floor!

(before anyone asks her back is perfectly fine shes just sensitive to close contact)

So saddler suggested I try a Kieffer. I hated Kieffer saddles everything about them I despise. However, It fitted her perfectly and she loves it. I have adjusted it once since as she changed shape - surprise to surprise and had no problems!

I doubt I would now change this saddle as she is so happy in it. Regardless of my Kieffer hate, i have learned to ride in it and shes happy so I'm happy. I do however ride this with a gel pad seat saver as its so bloody hard and when your used to CWD and Deavcoux its hard to get used to!

nato

Visit site
Thanks everyone - trying a Kieffer Arezzo saddle this weekend, seems to have a foam seat so maybe would help with the hardness some of you are referring to?