Kimblewick with no Curb Chain

sjp1

Visit site
Advice really please. Have just come back from awful ride with trial bit - a NS trans angled lozenge baucher, so back it will go on Monday.

I have tried several bits with him, and nothing is really 'the one'. I think he doesn't like bits that move in the mouth if you see what I mean. I see there is a kimblewick with no slots in the tackroom and wanted to try that to see if the mouthpiece suited him better.

Can I use it without a curb chain - it isn't that he is a real puller, but I thought the mouthpiece might be nicer for him - fat tongue, low palate?

rockysmum

Visit site
I regularly use Pelhams and Kimblewicks without curb chains, only because I am too lazy to keep changing bits :D Just like a straight snaffle really

Never had a problem but I remove the hooks for the curb chain, just in case they end up getting caught or dig in somewhere.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We had a job with our cob - fat tounge, low palate and she she took a 6inch which isnt a very common size - She hated jointed bits, so we started with a rubber mullen mouth snaffle which was quite good but a bit fat, she went very well in a mullen mouth pelham (for showing) but we thought it a bit strong for every day so opted for a kimble wick with a very low port - this worked a treat and we did use it a few times without a chain with no probs. We then had to find something dressage legal so got a myler mullen mouth snaffle, this is very still and doesnt collapse like most jointed snaffles, almost - like a normal mullen mouth snaffle bit (which we couldnt find in 6inch). It does have a slight degree of rotation so you can use each hand independantly (if that makes sense). We only realy tried is a handfull of times before we lost her to colic in November.

Once we get a new horse we will have to have a 6inch bit sale, unless of course the new one also takes dinosaur sizes!

Kiristamm

Visit site
Ditto for the Myler hanging cheek (baucher) Mine isn't the mullen mouth, but all the horses I have tried it on really took to it, including my old ex racer that had no mouth left. I also used a ported kimblewick on him which was his best bit.

ThePony

Visit site
Can I use it without a curb chain - it isn't that he is a real puller, but I thought the mouthpiece might be nicer for him - fat tongue, low palate?

Best to use it with a chain generally as it works to the restrict how far round the bit can move, and so the poll and tongue pressure exerted. If you don't use the slots though it will just be like a mullen baucher - so poss worth a go? If your horse prefers a steady bit then a nicely fitting drop noseband could help.