Kinda golden oldie question

seaview

Visit site
My girlie is getting on now, she will be 17 soon,
She had her ovaries out this summer and has come round really well!
I rode her for first time 2 weeks ago but with work I didnt get on her again that week!
Last week she came in lame, not by any stretch of the imagination crippled but very noticable, leg was swollen and hard!
Now she continually gets mud fever in her back lgs but these are now huge in the morning and obviously v uncomfortable for her!
She isnt 100% sound yet but I was wondering would you guys reckon if I kept her out it may improve things as when she comes in from field she has no swellign at all!
She would have rug on, good shelter adlib hayage and fed daily, what do you reckon?
N
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Agree with SammyJ. I would get the vet to check for infection. She shouldn't constantly have mud feaver with correct treatment (sorry to be blunt). And if she is prone then keeping her out 24/7 will not help.

Go down to your local agricultral store and get some Udder Salve (not cream) it is miracle stuff - and is guaranteed to help.

seaview

Visit site
sorry I did not put that correctly
She gets mud fever every year!
She had Mud fever which has been being treated so its nearly 100% away, she is out daily but it is only in the morning when she has been in all night that her leg swells, vet has been out recently but she had been out so it was down!
She is on something the equivalent of udder salve whihc is fab stuff and clears anything up imediately! But the problem about the swollen legs is annoying me!
N
x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ahh, sorry totally the wrong end of the stick.

Stable bandages - pure and simple. They will keep the swelling at bay. I have to bandage loan horse when she is stabled for exactly the same reason.

seaview

Visit site
Cheers will invest in those!
Do you think though she would be better out though if she was happy enough?
She HATES rain but while its still mildish I wouldnt mind her being out? what do you reckon?
xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Out is better imo - but I would get some advise about the lameness issue if you are concerned really from your vet.

seaview

Visit site
She just answered my question for me re staying out!
Dad went up to feed as he was off this afternoon and had to bring her in as she was running up and down the side of the field and annoying the others, she is a minx! does that all year round occasionally on nice nights she will stay out but not often!!
N
x

CBFan

Visit site
I don't really consider 17 to be 'getting on' most horses live well into their twenties these days and unless they are showing obvious problems with holding weight, the cold and wet etc should be happy enough living out, well rugged into their golden years...

If she does suffer from mud feaver though, I'd probably see about bringing her in for at least a couple of hours during the day for her legs to dry off etc.