Kissing spines with out surgery

keekee

Visit site
I recently bought a new horse and after a few weeks of monitoring him and coming to terms with his strange behaviour I decided to get him scoped and x-rayed which proved the worst result he had bad ulcers and mild kissing spines we have had the all clear today that the ulcers have healed and his back has been injected however he was still sore today on his check up so rehab has started and all the story’s I read are of Horses that have had surgery and are going through rehab are there any positive happy endings to horses who haven’t had surgery please help

Quote Reply

oldjumper

Visit site
I recently bought a new horse and after a few weeks of monitoring him and coming to terms with his strange behaviour I decided to get him scoped and x-rayed which proved the worst result he had bad ulcers and mild kissing spines we have had the all clear today that the ulcers have healed and his back has been injected however he was still sore today on his check up so rehab has started and all the story’s I read are of Horses that have had surgery and are going through rehab are there any positive happy endings to horses who haven’t had surgery please help

Quote Reply

My horse diagnosed with close spines 3years ago after farrier noticing reluctance to lift hinds. Vet work up and x-rays confirmed. Injection followed by 8 weeks rehab and he was much improved and back in work. Lock down limited work and he had to have subsequent injections after 6-8 months but could go back to ridden work. Now gone over 12 months without need for any further injections and going better than ever. Key is to keep them fit with plenty of appropriate work and have a good team of vet/physio/farrier. One word of warning - mine has changed shape so much he needed a new saddle! Good luck…

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Yeah, a girl I know at another yard, her big irish draft had kissing spines, much the same position as you bought a new horse then a couple of weeks in the problems started, she had surgery and was slowly brought back into work and she is getting back up to normal fitness now ?

spacefaer

Visit site
Couple of local people have had horses diagnosed with KS
Girl 1 did lengthy groundwork and physio - so far as I could see, everything she'd have had to do post surgery, without the actual operation. Horse is back in work, hacking and dressage.
Girl 2 did the same groundwork (they're friends) and horse is going for surgery shortly.
Sorry you're in this situation

SEL

Visit site
I've got a pony with it in two places - minor by withers and serious just behind T18. For various reasons she isn't a surgical candidate although I'm contemplating pain relief injections to help us move forward a bit better with rehab.

Lots and lots of work in walk encouraging her to stretch down. She's got what looks to be an old pelvic injury affecting the balance of her hind hooves so we've got remedial shoes on. Tonnes of bodywork and I'm devouring the ground work on developing the thoracic sling.

She's very happy hacking now up to about 6 miles (pollen allergy held us back) and her back is looking stronger although not quite where I'd like it hence debate over pain relief.

I think it's worth a shot with rehab before you go down the surgical route. If you don't get the result you were hoping for then there should still be time on the insurance claim for surgery