Kitchen counter thief!

pippixox

Visit site
So in less than 2 weeks Sky has come on leaps and bounds!

After 2 nights she moved off our bed onto a dog bed on the floor of our room.
Then just over a week in (Saturday night) we shut our bedroom door and put a bed outside. She settled fine.....
However, in the morning, I noticed an olive in pieces on the rug in the lounge. I assumed it had fallen off my pizza the night before and she had found it somewhere, but realized she did not like the taste! but when i opened the pizza box on the top of the oven (which was shut, not on the floor) the two slices I had left last night had gone! skilled lady had managed to open box, remove pizza, without knocking box on floor, and removed olives before eating it :)

not really after much advise- irritatingly our downstairs is quite open plan- kitchen in an alcove with an arch too wide for any stair gates. We do have an extra high dog gate to shut the living area off- but it has a baby lock type thing that is hard to open with baby in arms so we rarely used to shut it.... but need to now! she gets a bit stressed shut downstairs- although this has improved so much in just 10 days.

last night we left the gate open so she could camp by our bedroom door if she wanted to, but by the cushion movement I think she was on the sofa most of the night. (nothing food related on kitchen counters!)

does anyone else have a skilled food thief?! not used to it- our GSD was fab and you could even leave food on the coffee table- perfect height for his head- and he would not touch it!

Moobli

Visit site
I am really pleased to hear how well she is settling in. I am sure she must think all her Christmases have come at once :)

None of my dogs, past or present, have been food thieves, so the only advice I think worth giving is to always make sure you put everything edible out of reach.

pippixox

Visit site
I think she has a taste for human food as got away with stuff in her past home and probably got fed all sorts by the kids! She had terrible wind the first few days which seems to of gone now, hopefully due to the good quality food we are feeding her (not the pizza!)

Zero00000

Visit site
Haha this reminds me of my late partner in crime,
In his younger days he used to jump out the garden,
I learnt how to hop a 6ft fence with ease in those days,
One day he had been out the garden, we hadn't noticed as he would normally bark but that day he hadn't,
A short while later he came back with a huge leg of lamb.

Oh the shame!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my lurcher was a thief so i never leave any food out . all food in fridge or cupboards...i am in such a routine that i still do it even though she is not here any more.. years ago we had a lurcher as a yard dog and he managed to get a tray of 12 eggs out of the van and took it into his bed and none of the eggs were broken. we could never work out how he did it...

smja

Visit site
The only thing our dog has ever stolen off a counter was mince pies. Yes, Christmas mincemeat pies. Thankfully, he's not subtle and we could intercept!

Secure all the goods :D