Knee Boots

silverbullet

Visit site
Do you use them?? What for?? Which ones??

Have had a bit of an incident tonight with my old boy. Went for a hack had a good canter along the riverbank through long grass rough ground etc then the clumsy old thing goes and falls over flat on his nose walking back down the road.

He has arthritis but doesn't seem to trip that often.

He got back up straight away and isn't lame but has taken the skin off both his knees. I think I came off worse. Had reins at buckle end and no stirrups at the time (its not a busy road, just a lane) and came off over his shoulder and cracked my head on the ground. Have a nice headache now.

Do you think that knee boots would be a good idea?

somethingorother

Visit site
Firstly, if you banged your head and have a headache i would go and get checked out, or at least make sure there is someone to keep an eye on you if any signs of concussion start up.

I find knee boots a pain in the backside, they never fit securely without rubbing or falling down. Those ones which are full length and part of a brushing boot etc look good though, if a little expensive.

alainax

Visit site
hey, hope ur ok!!

I just bought the westropp knee and brushing boots, as a youngster i ride tripped and landed on his knee - and prevention is better than cure!

I will use them for hacking.

I had them before and thought they looked daft, but ive worked out you can bend them to curv around the knee, and looks much better lol. :p

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I have the Jeffries knee boots for Hattie. They're made from baghide leather with the leg bit lined with suede. I've never had a problem with them falling down and sometimes even put them on before schooling when I know I'll be hacking out afterwards. I started using them everytime I hack out as Hattie as sometimes she's too busy looking around what everyone else is doing and not paying attention to where her feet are supposed to go!

monkeybum13

Visit site
I'd never hack out Lacey without knee boots.
Some of the bridlepaths are stoney in places and she's so gangly and dopey that she's likely to fall over on the road! :rolleyes:
I'd rather be safe then sorry, we've had enough things putting our work back, don't need a lame horse to add to it!

peanut

Visit site
I always use knee boots for road work or when the ground is icy. Knees are easier to damage and harder to mend than a lot of people realise.

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
Another vote for the westropp brushing boot and knee boot in one, dont get the hard shell ones though they twist, the neoprene ones are fantastic and don't move.

My horse is 31, my friends horse had a nasty fall on the road and did some bad damage, I've used them ever since, I went for the all in one because I had some seperate ones that slipped, he stood on it and I went head first in a ditch ! not good, hip still giving me jip nearly a year later :)

silverbullet

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I've just ordered him a pair of the Westropp boots so hopefully they'll arrive soon.

He doesn't seem to be any worse for the fall, knees have scabbed up quick, rode him last night and no lameness at all.

alainax

Visit site
Ive had them on the spotty one for the past couple of days, did big long hacks, including alot of trotting and some cantering.

The moved slightly but just a fraction. Oh and they are a little more tricky to get on that normal boots - just in trying to make sure they are on tight enough -and particualrly when your horse thinks its funny to lift each leg your doing! :p

mickey

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't get on with knee boots. I have used leather ones in the past and they needed doing up tight to stay on. I think the other ones I had might have been Woof. They were synthetic. They were hopeless. I had to do them up so tight my poor horse's circulation must have just about stopped! They still kept falling to the ground. I don't use any now.

ilovecobs

Visit site
I dont hack out myself so have never needed them but i know people who use the ones that are brushing boots with knee pads built in, they look easy to put on etc.