Knocking over water bucket - help!

tatty_v

Visit site
My terror of a Shetland has found a new way to amuse himself - pulling over his water bucket and flooding his stable ? we’ve tried putting it in a tyre but that hasn’t stopped him. Any other suggestions or am I doomed to a soaking wet bed daily?!

Maryann

Visit site
Big tub that he can't knock over - with a concrete block in it, or tie the bucket handle to something so it is suspended a little way off the ground.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry to have to tell you that you will be wasting your time. My cob has to have 2 water buckets because she plays with one and tips it up. I have moved them round the stable to every place I can think of and nothing has stopped her. I watch her doing it in the field, too.

lottiepony

Visit site
Feel your pain, my Shetland does this but thankfully 1 tyre is enough to stop him. Does he have a heavy water bucket? I've got one of the stubbs heavy duty ones, maybe harder for him it it's not a flexible tub trug style one?

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Bolt two tyres together and sit the bucket in that. If you wanted to get really smart you could fill the bottom one(or both) with concrete to make them heavier. Like Shitlands always remember .. where this is a will, there is a way ;) fight fire with fire, lol :)

tatty_v

Visit site
I'm sorry to have to tell you that you will be wasting your time. My cob has to have 2 water buckets because she plays with one and tips it up. I have moved them round the stable to every place I can think of and nothing has stopped her. I watch her doing it in the field, too.

? this is what I’m worried about! We were in such a good routine of deep littering and mucking out fully once a week and now the little tike is intent on creating a swimming pool nightly! He also plays in the water trough in the field...

sport horse

Visit site
I absolutely cringe at anyone suggesting clips in stables after seeing that horse that tore it's nostril open on one...

I do too - but I use a tie ring on stable wall and tie a water tub with rope handles to tie ring using bale string.

Griffin

Visit site
My mare does the same, usually in sub zero temperatures so that she has an ice rink in her stable by the morning. It is so much fun.

I echo posters who suggest two tyres to weigh it down or perhaps tying safely to something. A heavy block in the bucket also works. I am not a fan of automatic waterers but if there is an option to put in a low one for him, I would take it.

I have also found that the position of the bucket in the stable can help. Mine is much less likely to tip it over if I have it away from her hay nets. I also find it stays upright more often if I don't wedge it into a corner. I would experiment if you can.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I watched my shetland lift and tip up a giant trug full of water at the weekend it just attention seeking doesn't like been tied up and having tail washed. She also launches her legs in it sometimes to tip it over. I have one tyre with bucket in the stable she occasionally tips it over.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My big horse (no obvious shetland tendencies) wouldn't spill a drop when there was apple juice in his water. I squeezed one of those little children's drink cartons into a massive trug of water.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My terror of a Shetland has found a new way to amuse himself - pulling over his water bucket and flooding his stable ? we’ve tried putting it in a tyre but that hasn’t stopped him. Any other suggestions or am I doomed to a soaking wet bed daily?!
some ideas here

https://h0rseservices.weebly.com/ways-to-stop-horses-knocking-water--feedbuckets-over.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265139144199?hash=item3dbb864607:g:zx4AAOSwUlFcUts0

one of these to secure bucket https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254899445995?hash=item3b5930e0eb:g:1YYAAOSwSuNacDdj

also wall bracket like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stubbs-Uni...ocphy=9046070&hvtargid=pla-555085471622&psc=1

failing that use a corner manger and fill that up

tatty_v

Visit site
Update: I tried tying the bucket into the tyre. This was a mistake, as it was clearly viewed as a puzzle he had to solve. Bed soaked and water empty by the time I did night checks ?. Back to the drawing board and some of the helpful suggestions above - I’ll be working through the list!

Tinsel

Visit site
Update: I tried tying the bucket into the tyre. This was a mistake, as it was clearly viewed as a puzzle he had to solve. Bed soaked and water empty by the time I did night checks ?. Back to the drawing board and some of the helpful suggestions above - I’ll be working through the list!
I hope you can find a good idea for the water bucket to stay upright

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My water loving mini has her mini trug wedged into a pair of tyres on top of each other, placed to the side of her stable. She lost interest in feet washing, tho still paddles in the low tank when out in the field.

Visit site
Nothing works. I am going through the same thing with my yearling. He drinks what he wants then he either grabs it in his teeth and pulls or kicks and stomps it with his front feet. He has many toys and buckets in his stable to play with instead but nothing is as fun as playing with the one that has water in it. Filling it to the top resulted in more water being spilled. Putting heavy stuff in the bottom made absolutely no difference what so ever, it was just mote stuff to play with when he tipped it out etc. I am hoping he grows out of it... he is exactly the same in the field btw. Give him a bucket of water and it is over within 5mins.

Ersling.