Knowing when to move on from current horse

caroline23

Visit site
Just wondering when people have known it is time to move on from your current horse, i currently have a lovely sweet ultimate confidence giving cob who has given me back so much confidence i am feeling a bit stuck now. He is a plodder and whilst he will speed up a bit in a group he is just generally laid back and not got a forward thinking brain. I have had lessons to make him a bit more responsive but you can only do so much and i do not want to make him into something he is not as his forte is confidence giving. I have tried the usual to try encourage him to stride out/be more impulsive but he either doesnt respond or does it a few steps then back to his usual, so by the end of the ride i feel i have used my legs the whole way round and it cant be pleasant for him either. I know loads of pepople who lack confidence will think i am mad for thinking this is an issue and before i got him i would think i was mad too!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
My friend had the opposite problem, horse too forward for her, quite a few tumbles and loss of confidence. She sold the horse and got a nice quiet cob...she loves him to bits.. Why don't you try out a different horse and see how you like a more forward responses were horse.. Do you have any friends who have something you can try. I hope you find what you are looking for.. X

Nativelover

Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from, I loaned mine out to a couple of homes until he retired and came back home till he died.
Don't know if you can afford to do that but I knew what was happening to him and had control.
I wouldn't feel guilty about selling him on, he's done his job for you and can do the same for someone else who will love him dearly.
You sound like you need your next step up, so I'd go for that. Some cobs just don't go forward!!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Be realistic about your future riding plans. Would he not be the best day to day horse with more excitement on an occasional basis? Can you share a more exciting horse or at least trial one. Depending on your riding skills you may realise too late you sold the best horse for you!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from, I loaned mine out to a couple of homes until he retired and came back home till he died.
Don't know if you can afford to do that but I knew what was happening to him and had control.
I wouldn't feel guilty about selling him on, he's done his job for you and can do the same for someone else who will love him dearly.
You sound like you need your next step up, so I'd go for that. Some cobs just don't go forward!!

Same here. We are fortunate.