Knutsford

Lexi_

Visit site
So then, Cheshire types... I've spotted a new NW event in the BE calendar for 2014. There don't seem to be any details other than Knutsford so I thought I'd see if anyone was familiar with the area and might know where it's being held.

I'm sure I'll be signing up to volunteer anyway but am just curious :)

Lexi_

Visit site
Yup! I've heard nothing about it in H&H or Eventing magazine until very recently which would suggest to me that it's at a venue that either runs unaffiliated comps or has held BE comps in the past. Judging by the Eventing column about Farley Hall you'd have thought something being set up from scratch would have been in the pipeline a lot longer.

I wasn't involved with BE when Henbury was running - do you think it might be there but running under a different name?

cptrayes

Visit site
Henbury is Macclesfield not knutsford. I can't think of anywhere in or around knutsford that could run a BE event unless they build from scratch in tatton park, but that's council run and I can't imagine it being allowed.

How interesting. I wonder where???

Lexi_

Visit site
I have work contacts at Tatton so could try and find out from them if we get no further. Like you say though, seems unlikely!

Adopter

Visit site
Many years ago there used to be events at Tabley, but I do not know who owns all the land now. I think the estate was split up. It will be interesting to find out more! If there is no course to start with they will need a lot of sponsors.

abbijay

Visit site
What about Arley? They still have a couple of fences on the estate from when they used to run them although most were sold and i'm pretty sure it's a Knutsford address.

Shrimp

Visit site
Arley is a very close to Knutsford but I very much doubt it will be there again. Though it was a great venue, I think it was the last event that absolutely wrecked the ground especially in the lorry park (I was parking assistant for one morning and the tractor was kept very busy!) and so needed a lot of money spent on it and was told that it wasn't financially viable any more. I think Henbury was along the same lines.
Would be lovely to think it was linked to Tetton as that was a lovely event too.

cptrayes

Visit site
Henbury stopped because the committee did not want to run it any more. Wilmslow/Hough Hall stopped after its ground was absolutely ruined, but someone also died on the course that year :(. Tetton stopped after Caroline Pratt was killed, and its just a DIY livery yard now, but it's Middlewich not Knutsford anyway. Arley was lovely, I didn't realise that it had stopped. It is close to knutsford and there are new BD events at Arley this winter..... come on BE tell us where the new venue is!

Maybe they will shut the airport for the weekend and run it on the verges around the runways?

Last edited:

Shrimp

Visit site
[QUOTE}Maybe they will shut the airport for the weekend and run it on the verges around the runways?

Haha you never know! :D Arley stopped in 2007/8 I think.
Its a shame that so many events round here have disappeared over the past few years. Storeton Hall and Parkgate were/are so close to me. I still drive past most days and see the old jumps in the field thinking how lovely it would be for them to be running again.

wench

Visit site
Loads have shut down... I came over here from Lincolnshire, and trust me, there are loads compared to what I have at home!

Lexi_

Visit site
Exciting! I'm going into FJ-ing withdrawal so am v. pleased at the prospect of more local events!

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
That's a bit Phooey. Same reason probably as Somerford early on in season. Or the Warrington horse show the other weekend completely ruined the ground?

wench

Visit site
It wasnt scheduled until September, I'd have thought if the ground was the problem it may have been left a while longer. Can't find anything on BE website either as to why its cancelled