KWPN Young Stallion Reports

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
Noticed quite a few threads for people looking at stallions etc. So thought some of you might find the young KWPN stallion foal reports quite beneficial:

DRESSAGE
Citango (Contango x Jazz)
Citango showed a uniform collection of well-developed riding type foals of good rectangular model. The hindleg is predominantly sickle-hocked. The foals move with much self carriage, suppleness and good use of the hindleg.

Florencio (Florestan I x Weltmeyer)
Florencio showed a collection of sufficiently developed, sufficient riding type foals. The foals are often ewe-necked. In movement the foals should bring the hindleg under the body more resolutely and they should be more supple.

Upperclass (Polansky x Doruto)
Uniform collection of generously developed, long-legged, uphill, riding type foals that stand in very good rectangular model. The foals move with much self-carriage and suppleness. The knee of foreleg could lift a little higher. The use of the hindleg is good.

Wilawander xx (Nashwan xx x Danzig xx)
Seven foals by the English thoroughbred Wilawander were shown. Because less than 10 offspring were registered the collection will be completed next year. The report will be determined at that time.

JUMPING
Ukato (Stakkato x Literat)
Uniform collection of well developed, attractive, riding type foals. The neck has good shape with much muscling in the topline. The base is hard but fine. In the trot and canter the foals show good suppleness, good self-carriage and good use of the hindleg.

Ultime Espoir (Chellano Z x Laeken)
A collection of more than sufficiently developed, riding type foals with good muscling. The neck comes from deep out of the chest and should have more length in the topline. The base is correct with well-developed joints. In the trot the foals show sufficient scope but should be more supple. The foals jump easily into the canter but should have more balance.

Up to Date (Camerino x Colino)
Uniform collection of more than sufficiently developed, riding type foals that are long-legged and have a good rectangular model. In movement the collection varies in quality. Besides several notably well-moving foals there are a number that should move with more power and use of the hindleg.

Upgrade (Heartbreaker x Pilot)
Uniform collection of more than sufficiently developed riding type foals that are attractive and have a good rectangular model. In movement the foals show much suppleness along with good self-carriage and active use of the hindleg.

Sarantos (Emilion x Larome)
Uniform collection of well developed, moderate riding type foals. The back is hollow. The hindleg is sickle-hocked. The walk has more than sufficient scope. In movement the hindleg should come under the body more resolutely and the foals should show more suppleness.

Verdi (Quidam de Revel x Landgraf I)
Uniform collection of more than sufficiently developed, riding type foals that stand in more than sufficient rectangular model. The foals jump easily into the canter. The canter is light-footed and is shown with much suppleness, good balance and self-carriage.

Vittorio (Calippo x Martel xx)
Uniform collection of more than sufficiently developed, very riding type foals with an appealing front. The foals stand in good rectangular model. The back is hollow. In movement the foals show much suppleness and good self-carriage. The actively bending hindleg should come under the body more.

I also thought you may all be interested to know that the report from Lingh, the Flemmingh Stallion ridden by Edward Gal at Grand Prix, is not up, but from the remarks of breeders I have been speaking to, they have been very disappointed in his foals.

I am not overly surprised by this remark because when he was Approved by the KWPN for breeding, many of the breeders we had spoken to said his mother line was not good enough to make him a good breeding stallion.

Lingh had been put forward as a young stallion prospect to the KWPN either once or twice before (would be lying if I said which one as I cannot remember) and the KWPN did not accept him. However, he was re-presented when he made his mark in the dressage arena and needless to say the KWPN did accept him at that point because he is a fantastic dressage horse.

It just goes to show though................just because a horse is the best in its field does not make them a top class breeding stallion.

tigers_eye

Visit site
That's very interesting, thank you! They are so rigourous on the continent and simply will not accept second best as this shows. The TB sounds interesting, he has what even I recognise as racing breeding and I don't really follow racing!

Anastasia

www.morayfirthstud.co.uk
They are very rigorous abroad with the stallions. Even after the stallions get Approved they are still looked at when they see the 3 yr olds, 7 yr olds and 11 yr olds, and at any of those stages the stallion can still be "dis-approved" with their license revoked if the progeny are not up to standard.

The foal reports can make or break a stallion as the breeders are very concious about what the stallions are producing.

The KWPN are trying to get more good quality TB sires on their Approved stallion list. The stallion in question is doing well in dressage.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I used to watch the main approval day for the BWPs as it was just down the road from where I lived. They have a similar system, but I don't think they look at progeny as old as 11. However if progeny do well internationally they will become elite or ambassador stallions. Randel Z is an example of the opposite of Lingh - he competed only in Young Horse classes, then retired from competition, however he has not only produced very good competition horses in both jumping and dressage but he is highley sought after as a dam-sire.

Isn't Florencio the stallion that won the World YH champs a year or two ago, then tested positive for some disease which caused concern? If it is it counds as if his foals aren't as good as his connections might have hoped.

S_N

Visit site
Yes I think that was Florencio! I do wish our breeding industry was more strict, with more concessions (tax/VAT).

S_N

Visit site
Apparently the sire of my colt (TB - Kings Composer) has been persued for export to Holland.... But he's not for sale!

That was all really interesting reading - esp. how the jumping sire seem to get better movement!