Lactating - Opinions please

MeganBilly

New User
Visit site
I'm caring for a friend's 7 yr old mare whilst she suns herself on holiday .

Yesterday I noticed some blood splattered on her vulva and called the vet about it (as an over-the-phone query). He said it wasn't anything to worry about so long as there isn't lots and it doesn't persist.

There was no blood today , but as afew in-foal mares 'spot', I had a look at her teats.
They were fine and 'normal' looking, however I gave both a slight squeeze and milk came out .

Her character is as it is usually, she's not been doing anything to make me worry and behaviourly I can't imagine a foal's in the equation.

Background info: Mare is a WB, 7 years old. Has foaled previously, but had last foal nearly 2 years ago.

I'd like any opinions on this please.

brackenhappy

Visit site
mmm when i last squeezed my mares teats (3yrs ago!) and got milk out i had pregnancy test done she was pregnant!!!! has the mare been with a stallion?? very poss that she may be pregnant otherwise she could just be havin a phantom!!!

miller

Visit site
OH's mare hasn't had a foal for 8 years - when we moved her home with my lad last year (first time they'd met) she ran milk for a week
confused.gif
we were in a right panic as she'd been turned away at a friends miles away after tendon problems and we thought he'd run her with a colt or something.

Called vet and he said - well if she is she is, can do a test but if she's that far on you might as well wait and see

Year later and still no foalie - vet said some mares do run miilk occasionally