Lambswool saddle pad

TreeDog

Visit site
I'm looking at getting a ghost treeless saddle, I've had one on demo and I'm pretty happy with it. The only issue I've had is slight back and forward movement at the back of the saddle. I've been assured by the rep that this is ok, as the cantle area is non weight bearing. However I'm concerned that the standard pad is made of grippy material underneath which I think could rub his coat with the movement. They also do the pad with lambswool lining instead of the grippy material, and it's been suggested that this could prevent rubbing of his coat. What are people's experience of lambswool/sheepskin pads? I've always thought they look lovely and this might be a great excuse to buy one but do they stay nice over time? I think my main worry is keeping it clean (horse loves a mud bath) and whether it will need replacing sooner. And how well do they cope with sweat? It is expensive so I don't want to regret buying one!

catkin

Visit site
I have a Horsedream pad that I am very pleased with. It is medical-grade lambskin and has no seams under the panels (just the seam to shape along the middle of the back). It has pockets for shims. Only problem is that it is very expensive. I used it under a Freeform and now use the lambskin part on its own under a treed saddle. It is still going strong after many years, but I do look after it (pony backs are too important not to)

I let mine air after every ride and then brush it to keep it fluffed-up and as clean as possible, a good shake helps too. My pony is not a real mud monster but I do groom him well before riding which helps. Always use a sheepskin/leather wash when it is washed - most manufacturers will do one or recommend one (I think Horsedream do their own, I've had the bottle a while).

Follysmum

Visit site
Christ lamfelle pads are excellent, I have 4 of them and the oldest one is approx 7 yrs old and still looks well, they always wash really well. I got all mine from horsedream

Shady

Visit site
I don't know the Ghost saddle personally but from experience of other treeless if the saddle moves at the back( which is quite common) it is probably a little long, not a massive problem as has been stated as it's not weight bearing but whatever you put under will still move and possibly rub to an extent which is not ideal. I had the same problem with my first Barefoot, I used the sheepskin Grandeur pad and it used to fuzz up the hair under the cantle, this is partly due to the pads being thick and shimmed so they are quite stiff and about 2 kilo's but it can also be down to the gait of the horse and balance/activity of the rider. Also the saddles themselves are flexible
I am going to assume that the pads for the Ghost are quite substantial too with the option to shim. I know other posters on here have bought the sympanova pad for the Ghost and not liked it at all so you would probably be better off with the wool one anyway.
I use a Nuumed lambswool pad under one of my normal saddles and it's lovely and washes well. They do get stiff with sweat so you have to brush them out but I tend to brush them out for a few rides then wash . On my current Barefoot I opted for a cotton lined Grandeur pad, I have a little movement but this hasn't rubbed. If your choice is the sympanova or wool I would opt for the wool.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Wool of all kinds wicks sweat, sheepskin is better for cushioning than wool fleece (all NuuMed pads for instance are wool fleeces) but needs gentler care eg leather detergent. I like Mattes pads but you'd need to check which if any were suitable for your saddle, and they are expensive, especially with the shim pockets though I'd always recommend stretching to afford to add them.