Lame after farrier visit...nail bind?

orangegrace

Visit site
Hi,

Hacked my horse (J) out Thursday evening and he was sound. J has rubbish feet and I've been trying really hard trying to improve quality/amount of hoof growth between shoeing's. His feet are very crumbly and dry. He's shod every 6 weeks and they have improved so much lately but seemed to have been affected by the very wet/dry/very wet weather we'd had over the last 6 weeks.

Farrier came out Friday morning to shoe him. Shod both fronts no problem but then horse starting fidgeting when shoeing right hind. he was then worse when he went on to shoe left hind. He can sometime get a bit fed up/fidgety and he'd been tied up outside his stable a long time so I assumed he'd just got fed up and wanted to go out.

Farrier finished him off and then starting packing away. I then noticed that J was holding his right hind in the air. I went over and pushed him over/moved him to see if he was irritated by a fly etc and realised he didn't want to stand on right hind. I walked him up for farrier and he had another look at his foot. he tested a nail which he reacted to so he removed said nail. Said he'd had to put nails higher up to try and avoid the rubbish hoof. Said he should be okay by that evening so I put J out in the field.

Came to get him in Friday night still not right but better in a straight line. Gave him the weekend off and gave him some Bute as assumed it was bruising. Improved over the weekend so completely sound in a straight line and on right turn but still lame on left turn. Farrier came out Monday to have a look. J looking lots better (after few days of bute) and farrier moved all nails down the hoof to see if that would help. I then left Bute off but when I went to see him last night I think he then looked slightly worse again on a left turn however still sound on straight line and turning to the right.

farrier coming back out today to take shoe off to check for abscess etc. and will box rest over the weekend.

I don't think he's going to find much in the way of an abscess, am thinking more likely bruising from standing on sore right hind whilst shoeing left and with his not so excellent feet. Has anyone experienced this before ? how long did it take to heal? I feel bruising would take a while to heal but worried he's still so bad on left turn. I am happy to give him plenty of time just worried he's never going to be sound again ! (slightly paranoid I know - I've got a lot going on at the moment :/ )

Thank you for reading it all - its quite long ! x

be positive

Visit site
If it was just bruising in the right, off, hind then I would expect him to be worst turning that way when more weight is going onto it than when turning left, if nothing is found in the foot I would suspect a problem higher up has been tweaked by having the foot held up for shoeing so a vet would be the best person to advise on what you do next.

orangegrace

Visit site
If it was just bruising in the right, off, hind then I would expect him to be worst turning that way when more weight is going onto it than when turning left, if nothing is found in the foot I would suspect a problem higher up has been tweaked by having the foot held up for shoeing so a vet would be the best person to advise on what you do next.

Yeah was thinking that was also a possibility. however there is some heat in the off hind hoof. the heat isn't as bad as on Friday but still warmer than the near hind hoof. The offending nail was in the outside of the off hind hoof so potentially when he goes to cross his near hind underneath him the weight is on his right hind.

huskydamage

Visit site
My pony had nail bind in hind leg it was exactly like a foot absess and treatment /time same thing. Farrier came (i wasn't there for it) I tacked up to ride when I went up and as soon as I got on she wasnt walking right so straight back off and she kept holding the hind leg in the air. I had to get vet out the long and faffy pouticing regime that you do with foot absesses and my douchey farrier at the time even charged me to remove the shoe! Needless to say don't have him anymore I know it can just happen but the farriers attitude sucked. I never put hinds back on again and years later she got a normal foot absess in bare hind from a stone I cannot win it seems lol

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Nail bind tends to come on after the horse has been shod, so the horse seems fine initially, but that's not the case a few hours later. The immediate reaction to the nail, plus the reaction to having the hoof testers applied near the nail makes me wonder if he actually pricked the living tissue when the nail was first driven in.

orangegrace

Visit site
Nail bind tends to come on after the horse has been shod, so the horse seems fine initially, but that's not the case a few hours later. The immediate reaction to the nail, plus the reaction to having the hoof testers applied near the nail makes me wonder if he actually pricked the living tissue when the nail was first driven in.

Yes I agree with you there. I think its more likely he's pricked the tissue as it was immediate and was improved by removing said nail. Obviously then there is a possibility a abscess is now forming. He is removing the shoe today so will hopefully know if there is abscess forming. If there is no sign of an abscess, how long am I looking at it taking to heal? Any experiences? obviously like I said before I am happy to wait - I'm just worried! :(

Kezzabell2

Visit site
could he be brewing an abscess, if he was messing about when the farrier was trying to shoe, that might show signs that something was uncomfortable! have you tried to see if you can find his digital pulse in that leg?

orangegrace

Visit site
could he be brewing an abscess, if he was messing about when the farrier was trying to shoe, that might show signs that something was uncomfortable! have you tried to see if you can find his digital pulse in that leg?

farrier coming today to take the shoe off and look for abscess - I'm hoping it is tbh as at least I would know then ! cant seem to find a pulse but off side hoof a lot warmer than near side. He only started messing around with the right hind when the shoe had already been put on and farrier was rasping/sorting the clenches out/finishing off and then messed around for his left because of having to stand on the right which was obviously sore :(

Booga22

Visit site
Following with interest as currently in a very similar position! My girlie was shod in front Friday Am, wasn't keen on giving her off fore to the farrier & made it clear she wasn't too pleased - nothing major,but not like her.
kept in during the day as has been recovering from a ligament injury & we had a lot of rain so what with it being early days turn out wise - she had a duvet day.
Bit pottery that evening so walked in hand, wasn't 100% convinced about near fore but nothing sinister.
Cur Saturday morning - pony fell out of bed! Very sore, esp turning to the left. Called farrier who was ace & came out 15 minutes later - hoped it was fore-soreness after bit more foot taken off than used to, but not nail bind. We agreed to keep her in for the weekend & if better 24 hours later, quiet ride in a straight line.... Must add - there's no heat, lumps, bumps, swelling or pain on (strong) palpation anywhere on lower limbs too.
Nope - still bad Sunday, and has actually worsened over last day or 2 (spoke to Vet Tuesday who advised she stay in on box rest again etc), so I have the vet coming out later on today
Awful to see her shuffling & unhappy this morning - she had a hoolie in the field last Monday after some bright spark chased a loose horse in order to catch it.....cue pandemonium, so we're fearing coffin joint/collateral ligament - especially knowing y girl!

orangegrace

Visit site
Update :
Farrier been tonight to removed shoe. Reacted to hoof testers on sole of foot so obviously sore but no sign of abscess at the moment. Dry polticed and left shoe off. Farrier coming back saturday to reassess.

orangegrace

Visit site
Been back on board this weekend and he's sound ! So pleased :D boxed rested while shoe was off for 4 days then shoe back on last Saturday then gave him another week off and he's sound again. Thank you for your help/opinions :)