lame- any ideas PLEASE?

serena2005

Visit site
my horse has gone lame on his near front, no swelling, no cuts or grazes, a tiny bit of heat in both front legs just above the hoof, kept him in last night thinking he may have just gone a bit wild in the fild what with the changing wether he usually has a good gallop when it rains.

still lame this morning, not badly hopping lame, so iv turned him out to see if he will walk it off.

could he just be lame due to his bad confirmation? should i keep him in if hes still lame tonight?

any ideas please!?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Might be an abcess in the hoof. Your farrier or vet applying pressure with hoof testers will be able to tell you if it is. They will most likely pare the hoof down a bit to see if they can find a hole/crack and after poulticing or hot-tubbing (or both) for a few days, neddie should come sound.
Not serious at all
smile.gif

serena2005

Visit site
wouldnt his hoof be hot though? and the the tiny bit of heat is in both legs, if not more in the sound leg...

how long before i leave it to call the vet out if it is an abcess? his feet have cracked recently...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Not necessarily. I had a horse that was very prone to abcesses, especially perhaps because she was unshod. I don't recall her feet ever being hot. And another one of my horses' leg swelled up because the pus couldn't get out! One numpty told me he had a ligament injury!
You could try hot-tubbing him now. I use hand-hot water with lots of salt to draw out any infection. If there is no improvement or he gets worse in the next couple of days I'd get the vet or even farrier out.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Put some hot water (hot to your hand) with salt in a bucket if you've got a cooperative horse, or a rubber skip if he's likely to mess around, and put horse's foot in it. Keep him standing there for as long as poss (or until water cools) I used to top up with more hot water and usually tubbed for about 30-40 mins. My horse could stand like that for ages!
smile.gif

Honeyb060674

Visit site
I'd second PF's suggestion. We had a mare brought in on Monday lame after a ride. As her shoes were a little loose, and there was a possiblity of her getting gravel, her owner tubbed her. Shes sound today!