Lame horse again...what to do?

piaffe

Visit site
I'm so [****] miserable its unreal. As some might know, V was off for a week as he was lame. Vet couldn't find anything obvious but he was buted and box rested for a week.

Brought him back into work gently and he has been going really well.
grin.gif
Yesterday he was a tad unlevel when i first trotted him, this lasted a min or so and then he was fine. Today, I took him out to lunge and he's lame again.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Am so upset, seems to be 2 steps forward 3 steps back at the moment.

What should i do? Get the vet out next week? Or, as suggested by my YO, leave him in the field for a few months?

The farrier is coming on wed and am tempted to see what happens after he has had a trim etc as he's rather long (bloody farrier wouldnt come out any sooner) and YO also said he has collapsed heels. Would any of this make him lame in just one leg?

I just really dont know what to do for the best. Im so upset i just feel like giving up and it doesn't help when other smug owner says "oh dear, that will put you back a bit won't it. looks like ill be out sonner than you".
frown.gif

Any ideas?
frown.gif
Thanks.

A very upset Piaffe.

Bri

Visit site
Big hugs - I know what a nightmare it is! And ignore all the other people - they're obviously just jealous of your beautiful horse!

Personally I'd wait for the farrier to come out, could he have an abcess or something? If once the farrier's been there's no improvement I'd probably get the vet back out.
Just my opinion but I don't see the point in just turning a horse out for a few months!

Get well soon V!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Foot Abcess? did the vet take his shoe of and have a dig around? I would ask your farrier to have a look when he comes

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, good suggestion. I've just remembered; PF once had similar intermittent lameness, vet couldn't find anything; she'd come sound, then go slightly lame again... eventually xrays showed little 'bubbles' of pus right up the front of her hoof.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF didn't feel a thing with hoof testers. She was unshod at the time though and had really thick soles, so i suppose that might've had a bearing. Vet suspected it might be an abcess but couldn't locate it. In the end they dug it out at Rossdales.

Salcey

Visit site
Have to say I've got one that came out lame yesturday with an suspected abcess - I'd think down those lines before fearing the worst......worth poulticing to see!

Weezy

Visit site
Suspected abcess would deffo be my guess - remember he is having proper hoof care now, the shape of the hoof is changing (for the better) so the pressure he is using will have changed a tad - we had a dry smmer, a little bruice may have turned into a corn, etc etc etc - I would hazard a 99% guess it is something in the hoof and not something that will warrant a long turn away!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Only thing I would say in my experience with hoof issues it looks like they have broken their leg as can barely walk on it. I would expect him to be lamer.

brightmount

Visit site
My horse had intermittent lameness for 6 months. The vet was treating the fetlock but another vet who we got for a second opinion located the lameness to the heel and put her on box rest with hand walking. This went on for another 4 months until she went further downhill and we had an MRI scan which showed a lot of issues consistent with navicular syndrome.

The front shoes had been removed for the scan, and the back shoes were removed a few weeks later and she was trimmed by an Equine Podiatrist. She has been barefoot since February and she has made a total recovery to the point I now have a loaner as we got another horse and now don't have time to keep them both exercised!

This is an approach you could try if the lameness persists, as bad foot balance over a period of time can lead to navicular issues and equine podiatry is very successful in addressing this condition.

Tia

Visit site
Just a thought - one of mine has been ever so slightly lame over the past couple of weeks. I couldn't see any reason for it and neither could the farrier (I thought it might be a foot abcess). Anyway this has continued and then yesterday I brought him out of the field to have a good old root around and I found......a splint forming! Just a very small one, but it is on the leg of unsoundness. Now I don't know whether this is the cause of his lameness but until the splint forms properly I won't really.

This splint was so tiny that I almost missed it and it was just that I noticed the teeniest change in temperature in the leg. Could this be what V has?

piaffe

Visit site
Oh I don't know Tia.
frown.gif
I really don't. The worst thing is, (as usual) I am expecting the worst and now having horrible thoughts going through my head.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Do you reckon it would be worth a poultice? God, i havent done one of those for about 10 years so might need a book!
blush.gif

I guess i will wait for the farriers opinion.

Thanks everyone. Right now i just want to find a big hole in the ground to swallow me up.
frown.gif

Patches

Visit site
lol @ the head start comment PF! Priceless. You really must say that Piaffe! Soon shut them up.

I've heard it said so many times, but if only they could talk to us! If it's any help, when Patches had her foot balance issues, asides from stumbling she was also showing up lame when trotting on circle. Was the tiniest bit unlevel on a straight line trot up. This was on a hard surface of course.

Maybe it could just be that he needs his feet doing. I know if I let Patches go over 5 weeks now (she's done every 4) I can tell she's not as comfy.

Tia's is also a good theory. He'd be about the right age wouldn't he?

Hope he's better soon and I hope it's nothing serious.

piaffe

Visit site
Yes! PF's comment did make me chuckle!
grin.gif

Patches, I hope you are right. His feet are a bit of a state and the farrier has left him for a long time. I will have my fingers and toes crossed that he's ok after trimming. He's barefoot at the mo and YO says he needs show to support but vet didn't think so...... *shrugs shoulders*
confused.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Most Andys are absolutely 100% without shoes - indeed Chics is only shod infront and he doesnt need them at all - I would be suprised if he "needs" shoeing but maybe to support while the feet are being brought into the optimum shape?

Personally I think Tia's suggestion is a rather good one too (see, no opinion of my own, simply agreeing with others hmmm does that make me a sheep hehe!!)

Patches

Visit site
Either a sheep or a duck weezy as I've noticed how my cute ducklings (not so ling anymore....grown up now!) all paddle about together.

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Awwwwwwww cute! Was talking about ducks ast night - I really want some
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can have my two! Lots of shagging goes on but no eggs!
mad.gif
I think Jeremy must be firing blanks!

piaffe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crispy duck and pancakes
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmmm
grin.gif
grin.gif