lame horse help please

slimdizzy

Visit site
just been out to my horse and he is quite badly lame on his off side rear leg there is no swelling anywhere and no heat feet are clean but he looks sorry for himself. i dont know whats happened still munching grass.what should i do ?i have some no bute and it says up to 40mls a day is that all at once or though out the day? im sure ive seen you talking about a scale of 1-10 for lameness and i,m saying maybe a 3 .keeps flicking it under his belly.could have just pulled it or something having one of those happy half hour i just dont know what to do give him the no bute of phone the vet ?he is the first horse i have had full responceablity for so i do tend to panic . thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
I'm of the opinion that you shouldnt give pain relief until you know whats wrong as you could be masking further problems.
Maybe get someone more experienced to take a look? If not, vet to be certain there's nothing major going on.

slimdizzy

Visit site
a friend of mine has taken a look and thinks he may just have pulled it and im panicing because im always scared i will break him and ruin my dream. i dont know if he had just done it either as all the horses were black from rolling and looked liked they may have been having fun so when to phone the vet maybe give it for a couple of hours or leave it till the morning if he seems to be coping ?

kirstieg

Visit site
It sounds like an abscess to me

Exactly the same symtons as my mare had before she got her in her hind hoof

Nothing to panik about

Try getting the vet out or the farrier

Hope hes back to normal soon though xxxx

slimdizzy

Visit site
JUST BEEN BACK TO CHECK HIM HES STILL GETTING ABOUT IN THE FIELD IN THE QUEST TO FILL HIS BELLY . where would i find an abscess as his feet are good ?would he not have to have signs of infection?

Natalie_H

Visit site
You would be best to get the vet or farrier to look as he would need a pinch test to first verify that it is an abscess, then they generaly have to remove the shoe if it is (if he is shod). When my horse had one, the farrier then pared away the sole to release the pus, then he was pouliticed. However, it got worse 2 days later, and the vet came up & pared away some more & found a secondary which actually popped & hissed! He was fine after poulticing & had a shoe back on within a week, but you need someone who knows what they're doing to diagnose the abscess if it is one. Good luck!

Louby

Visit site
I hope hes ok.
I'd be more inclined to get the vet, mainly because if it isnt an abcess then you will end up paying both the farrier and vet.