Lame in trot

holeymoley

Visit site
My guy is 6 months in to his recovery for laminitis. He has been sound for 10weeks and is doing 30-45mins in hand walking on concrete and is turned out in a dirt paddock during the day with a haynet and toys. If anyone’s seen my other post you’ll have seen he got out on Monday due to someone’s carelessness (seething😤) anyway he galloped around the field once until caught. He’s absolutely 100% sound in walk however seems to be nodding in trot which is from the left fore. In my gut I feel it’s definitely not a laminitis lameness UNLESS it’s concussive from galloping as ground is quite hard at the moment. He is walking sound which if laminitis would assume that he would be sore to walk. So basically, my head is so warped with laminitis, how long roughly would you expect him to be lame for if it’s just a case of having pulled/tweaked something? Bare in mind he’s not cantered let alone galloped in over 6 months...

Thank you x

EllenJay

Visit site
My guy is 6 months in to his recovery for laminitis. He has been sound for 10weeks and is doing 30-45mins in hand walking on concrete and is turned out in a dirt paddock during the day with a haynet and toys. If anyone’s seen my other post you’ll have seen he got out on Monday due to someone’s carelessness (seething😤) anyway he galloped around the field once until caught. He’s absolutely 100% sound in walk however seems to be nodding in trot which is from the left fore. In my gut I feel it’s definitely not a laminitis lameness UNLESS it’s concussive from galloping as ground is quite hard at the moment. He is walking sound which if laminitis would assume that he would be sore to walk. So basically, my head is so warped with laminitis, how long roughly would you expect him to be lame for if it’s just a case of having pulled/tweaked something? Bare in mind he’s not cantered let alone galloped in over 6 months...

Thank you x
That doesn't sound like lammy lameness - I'm guessing that he doesn't have shoes on, so would think that after his hooley he has bruised his foot. If I were you, I would get your farrier to hoof test, and see what he says.

After his bout of laminitis did you get X-rays to see how much damage was done to the hoof & structure? Most initial lammy attacks, although need to be treated immediately, don't cause lasting damage, continual bouts however are a different matter. Not trying to make light of laminitis - it is a killer - but the majority of horses, with correct management are absolutely fine after the causes are brought under control.

holeymoley

Visit site
Yes, aware of the severity of it as he did have severe rotation which has now been corrected, we’re just waiting on the last of the old hoof to grow out. He has heartbars on in front, nothing behind. Initially he had frog supports and pads so he’s always had support straight from the off. I know it’s not the same as hoof testers at all but banged about his sole with the hoof pick and pressed it tonight and he wasn’t bothered 🤔 so annoying when it could have been prevented.