Lame old boy and bute test

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think if your horse is grumpy and this is unusual for him then he is telling you that his life is not happy. you are the one who knows him best and not your vet so it is really your decision and if he is still not happy on 2 bute a day he must be in quite a bit of pain. quality of life is the most important thing to remember.

Horseowner123

Visit site
Hi all,

Just a quick update, we have decided the time is right to put him to sleep. He is booked in for next Tuesday but we will move it closer if he goes anymore downhill. We have reduced his bute to see if there was any change and after two days he is no longer trying to canter around the field like he did, very tentatively walking round, tripping and looks tired.

I know we have made the right decision but it doesn't make it any easier after owning him for 17 years, the grumpy old man will be missed so so much xx

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
So sorry you have had to reach this decision. At least you can up his bute now to make him comfortable and spend some more treasured time with him on the run up to Tuesday. I hope it goes well, thinking of you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear your news but so pleased that your horse has a responsible owner who puts his needs first. I would increase his bute until next Tuesday to keep him as comfortable as possible. Thinking of you!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sorry you are having to go through this but it sounds like you are doing the right thingfor him although it is hard for you. agree up his bute so he has his last few days comfortable and hope all goes ok on tuesday..

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm so sorry - but your horse is one of the lucky ones. he has let you know how he feels the only way he can, and you have listened to him. Very hard for you, to make the kindest decision. x

JillA

Visit site
It's the most difficult thing to plan ahead like this instead of an immediate reaction to a situation. But you are doing it for him, not for you, and hang on to the thought that this is something we can do for them at the end. Make it as pleasant as possible so he just goes to sleep enjoying what he loves