Lame. What does this sound like?

holeymoley

Visit site
Horse is a previous chronic EMS laminitic that had rotation but corrected and been fine ever since. Kept on a very strict routine and ems friendly diet.

Been fine all weekend, hacked out yesterday which involved some hill work(not unusual) and a little canter, again not unusual. Horse was fine, if anything slightly grumpy as he had less time out in the field and was quite hungry. All fine, put to bed happy eating hay.

Fast forward 12 hours later, very sore in front leg, pointing toe and reluctant to weight bare. Shuffling around on 3 legs. Bounding pulse and heat in front leg. Didn’t think laminitis as I check him over daily for any warning signs. Horse still very bright in himself and eaten breakfast and hay. Thought- abscess! Hot poulticed and left until this afternoon. 6 hours later in the afternoon, horse is weight bearing on all 4 and happy to kick the door with ‘bad’ hoof! Took him out for the farrier who couldn’t see any lameness- he pared away some sole, took shoe off, pressure tested the sole and no reaction. Trotted up and had a few short strides but nothing bad. Shoe back on, no adverse reaction. I popped him back in his stable while I fixed up some hay then took him out for a walk. He was very clearly lame again with a short stride. Back in to his stable and back to the way he was this morning.

If you look at him standing he doesn’t have a laminitic stance at all. He will stand squarely with all 4 legs under him. Only while he’s standing in his stable he may have his sore leg out in front or toe pointing, but while eating hay he’s happy to have it under him. If you seen him eating you wouldn’t think anything was wrong with him as he stands ‘normally’.

Sorry for the long story. My biggest fear is laminitis in the one hoof. He is bright in himself and happy to eat, mooch for treats, kick the door etc the pulse and heat is what’s worrying me however I’m certain that all these symptoms are signs of an abscess? Any ideas? Thank you x

Carrottom

Visit site
First I would check for any sign of thrush, you think the farrier would but he may have missed it. Then tub with warm Epsom salt solution for 10 mins, twice a day. Hope he improves.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you, I'm so glad all of you have said more or less an abscess. Farrier couldn't see or feel anything remotely like an abscess and reckons bruising, my biggest fear is laminitis again. Absolutely no thrush, I'm on that! Had a bad case of central sulcus thrush years ago, since then he gets checked and sprayed every day.

This morning he is as right as rain. Not sore at all, happily kicking the door o_O most furious that he's being kept in. No bounding pulse, hoof is as cold as the others. Happily weight bearing on all 4 and happy for me to shift weight on to the 'bad' one. Complete mystery. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the bum later on.