Lameness & Corns part 2!

Stasha22

Visit site
Well the Farrier looked at her on Weds afternoon and said the Corn has nothing to do with her lamenes. She didn't respond to the hoof testers at all and the Corn is so small he said its not playing any part in her lameness. So he put the shoe back on and said see how she goes over the next few days. She was much better imediately after the shoe was put back on (as I had expected as she is foot sore whenever she loses a shoe).

Yesterday she was alomost sound and the heat had started to go down too.

This morning she is really lame again although the heat isn't as bad as it was earlier in the week.

Am at a bit of a loss now. Time for another visit from the Vet I think?

MarthaRodman1

www.photobucket.com
Aren't TB's a worry bless them! had a similar problem with mine last year. Had just finished SJ was just putting him back on lorry, and being the nosy parky he is, didn't look where he was going and tripped up the lorry ramp - didn't fall over or anything - just tripped, then marched straight up. Anyway he was v fidgety on way home and when I got him off, couldn't put any weight on him front leg! Masses of heat, pulse etc, immediately I panicked, tendon, ligament etc. Anyway, box rested, for a couple of days - heat and swelling went - so then hacked him out, just walk, as he was sound. 20 mins into the hack hopping lame again! Anyway, vet came out, took off shoe, nerve blocked foot - nothing!!! (not all horses react to nerve blocks, mine certainly doesn't) Left shoe off for a week with hot pultice each day. Then turned him out in field, with bandage, he was sound by now, but still left shoe off for a further week (2 in total) farrier came up, put shoe back on - sound as a pound! Never did find out what was wrong....

Maye her shoe needs to come off for a week or so and stay off with bandage/pultice etc.

Jack has had corns ever since I've had him (2.5years) and they've never caused him any problems - so think it unlikely that they are what is causing your mares lameness.

Also, Jack was on box rest at the beginning of the summer (for a tendon injury) . Put him out to strip graze for 30 mins, bought him in half hour later and he was crippled lame!!! Had had his shoes on for over a month and been on box rest!
Had vet up, shoe off, pultice etc, nothing. Farrier came up few days later to put shoe back on, dug and dug and out came the puss flying into his face - NICE! So, it is possible vet has missed it....

Sorry v long winded, hope it puts your mind at ease...
MX