Lameness help/reassurance please!

sugarpony

Visit site
My lovely horse came in from the field just over a week ago with a wound on the inside of a front leg, about halfway up the cannon bone. We aren’t sure if he got kicked or caught himself or what. Didn’t look too bad, trotted up sound in a straight line but slightly lame on L rein on the lunge.

Was assessed by a vet, not particularly deep but a bit of a pocket at the top. Had 7d antibiotics to prevent any infection. Leg swollen the first few days but now pretty much gone, just slight thickening directly around the wound. It’s not fully closed yet (was a hole approx size of a 10p) but is healing well.

But he’s still lame on the L rein. Only mildly, maybe 1-2/10, sometimes barely visible at all. He’s not got any worse, but also isn’t much better. I know you’re all probably going to say it’s early days yet and give him a bit more time, but I’m honestly going out of my mind with worry. So is this normal? Do I need to panic yet?

If he’s no better after the weekend maybe get reassessed and maybe X-ray?

Ossy2

Visit site
It could just be that being on that rein stretches the skin around the wound when that legs on the outside of the circle if it isn’t completely closed up yet so he’s reacting to discomfort of that. Is he ok on the right rein as well as straight line? When you say thickening is that just of skin around the wound? Scar tissue will be less elastic so won’t stretch the same as normal skin so will need some time to heal and stretch. If the thickening is more than that I’d be tempted to have it looked at again.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Every horse is different - so yes give him a wee bit more time. He's obviously feeling that leg a bit! Have you tried bute to tide him over? My horses went very slightly lame in mid April (splint with one, bone spavin and concussion in front feet with the other). In that period (with vet permission) I continued short hacks in walk just to keep them moving as well as the occasional loose school / in hand ground work. They are now both sound and going well! I did give the big guy some danilon while we were treating the spavin and concussion. The other one was ice packs on the splint and cooling gel.

eggs

Visit site
One of mine came in with a small cut from a kick on his shoulder. He was lame for 12 weeks! After 8 weeks when he was still not sound the vet was worried that they may have missed a potential fracture. X-rays fortunately showed no breaks but did show bone bruising. Once that had settled down he was absolutely fine.

SO1

Visit site
Mine had something similar to that vet back in two weeks x-rayed and it was broken splint bone.

meleeka

Visit site
I’d say probably bruising and I’d give it a bit longer. If your peace of mind is worth more than the x-rays cost, then go ahead and do it. I’m pretty sure your vet will be happy to oblige ?

sugarpony

Visit site
It could just be that being on that rein stretches the skin around the wound when that legs on the outside of the circle if it isn’t completely closed up yet so he’s reacting to discomfort of that. Is he ok on the right rein as well as straight line? When you say thickening is that just of skin around the wound? Scar tissue will be less elastic so won’t stretch the same as normal skin so will need some time to heal and stretch. If the thickening is more than that I’d be tempted to have it looked at again.
Yes, I did think it could be that. He’s completely fine on the right rein, and not really any different on hard vs soft ground.

Think I will ask for X-rays for my own peace of mind. Splint bone fracture is probably top of my list of worries. I’m hoping not tendon/ligament as he’s not bothered about pressure anywhere, and the tendons on the back of the leg are completely cold and non swollen.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I'd honestly ask for your vet's opinion and advice on this.
If someone here gives you reassurance and you leave it , it could end up being the worst thing to do .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Yes, my vets are always happy to have a brief chat on the phone to decide next steps so i'd start there.

sugarpony

Visit site
Vets managed to squeeze him in for X-rays today. Nothing untoward on them as far as they could see on the yard. Said likely bruising, but can’t rule out soft tissue damage 100%. But lack of swelling makes it less likely. No point scanning it as won’t get good pictures.

Plan is to box rest him for now, and see how he’s getting on over the next week or so.

Less worried about a potential fracture now, but sure I’ll carry on worrying myself sick until he’s sound and ok.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Vets managed to squeeze him in for X-rays today. Nothing untoward on them as far as they could see on the yard. Said likely bruising, but can’t rule out soft tissue damage 100%. But lack of swelling makes it less likely. No point scanning it as won’t get good pictures.

Plan is to box rest him for now, and see how he’s getting on over the next week or so.

Less worried about a potential fracture now, but sure I’ll carry on worrying myself sick until he’s sound and ok.
Mine was literally on 3 legs this time last week , almost non weight bearing. By the time vet came for a proper visit on Monday , he was flippin' sound again!
Vet thought he'd just bruised himself.
Goes to show that they can be really lame without it being serious (I feel like a fool for calling vets in tears because I thought he'd broken his leg or something )
Hopefully yours improves with some rest.
The ground is rock hard right now so running around in the paddocks won't help.