Lameness - pulled muscle? How to treat

SueAllen

Visit site
I am a complete and utter novice when it comes to injuries and problems and thus compltely paranoid about doing the right thing. Just come in from lungeing rather wound up horse. Thought it would settle him down prior to hacking. He had a little warming up before blasting off at a canter. The ground is a little slippy and he did slip once or twice - although not badly - before I got him back to trot. Now he appears to be stiff through near hind. Is this likely to be a pulled muscle and, if so, what is likely to be the best approach. I have turned him out so he can keep it moving and will take a look again later this afternoon. No obvious swelling or heat that I could feel. If there is any swelling/heat presume I need to cool it. Your expert advice, ladies and gentlemen, would be much appreciated! Please don't think I am trying to avoid calling out the vet on Christmas Eve though!!
wink.gif

EMZ

Visit site
I Would see how he goes just being in the field see if it improves with moveing around, if it worsens then i would complete box rest for a day then a gentle walk out in hand next day to asses him. If better then i would continue with the box rest then mayb a genltle walk out again and increase thie depending on how severe it is. If no improvement then at least you can tell the vet what you have tried.