Lameness query (thought I'd get a better response in here)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
If a horses' stride is coming up short on one leg could that be due to a problem in the shoulder?
Let me set the scene: (bear with me, it's a long one!)
I stupidly left Missy's headcollar tied up in the stable (when she was loose), she managed to knock it down and get her leg (off fore) through it, she panicked, que a struggle which ended in a broken lead rope clip. I walked her up and down the yard and she was fine. Trotted her up this morning and she was sound as a pound on all 4 legs, she was trotted up this afternoon and with quite a few people (including 2 lecturers and the judge so if she was unsound it would have been spotted) she was again sound. She got shod (never had a problem with being foot sore). This evening I stick her on the lunge and her stride on her near fore is coming up short in walk, in trot she does the occasional short stride and in canter she's fine. I'm stumped! I have no idea how she's done this. She hasn't left her stable all afternoon after having her shoes done, she hasn't been lying down, theres no shelling, heat, soreness...........Telling you thos may be all a bit pointless but I really need a good moan, I've been having such a good week and then THIS happens.
My poor pony
frown.gif

x

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Maybe she's a little stiff if she has had a fight with a headcollar! Standing in all day may mean that a slightly pulled muscle could stiffen up. Did it ease off as she got moving?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
The headcollar got caught on her off fore, she's coming up short on her near fore, could have still tweaked something though. She had been stood in all night and most of the morning so i would have thought it would have stiffened up then?
God I'm rubbish with lameness
mad.gif
frown.gif

ETS: That sounds like the biggest load of sh!t, ignore me, I'm jabbering on

Jemayni

Visit site
How long did you lunge her for? Maybe she was still stiff from being shod?

Feeling for you by the way, my palony returned to his lame state of lameness today - feel free to join me in my state of depression!
crazy.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I haven't had a lame horse in years and this is so frustrating because I don't know whats causing it. Really hoping it's something easily sorted
crazy.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I'm going to see if I can trot her up in front of Kirsty in the morning and if she doesn't have a clue collar another lecturer.

In case you didn't know theres a yard meeting, friday at 5pm
tongue.gif

Allykat

Visit site
I would guess that she probably just tweaked something in the struggle and the "short" leg has just been further tweaked by the farrier.

If the caught leg was sore over night she may have loaded her weight onto the other leg, which in turn may now be feeling a bit sore especially if it has had a bit of pulling about by the farrier.....does that make sense? I think it does
confused.gif
grin.gif

I think she'll be fine in a day or two

TGM

Visit site
I notice that she only showed as lame after she was shod. Might be nothing to do with the headcollar incident - farrier may have pricked her slightly or might be a tight nail. If no better today you could ask the farrier to come out and have a look.

Iestyn

Visit site
If it's any consolation my boy has been lame for a week now - kept him in until yesterday and he was getting better - turn him out and he comes back in worse (he did go hooning around!!!). No lumps, bumps, heat or swelling - we're absolutely stumped. The same thing happened just over a year ago with no obvious signs of anything. Vet coming out this afternoon - I'm gutted and of course, being a pessimistic person I have all sort going through my head.
frown.gif
confused.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
It's incredibly frustrating
frown.gif
I trotted her up in front of the YM (who's a college instructor) this morning and she said she was perfectly sound on a straight line so i think I'lll stick her back on the lunge tonight and see if it's any better. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew why she was a bit iffy.....Gah, damn horses, who'd have em!
tongue.gif

orsceno1

Visit site
my horse threw a huge splint 4 months ago on his left hind and has just come back into work after being pretty lame. he appears sound on a straight line and on the lunge is sound on the left rein (when bad leg is on inside)but on right rein he is stepping through short on it. I think its through stiffness through his back somewhere so maybe your mare is similar in that a slight soreness is only showing on a circle and she has maybe just tweaked something somewhere along the line??
Im rubbish at lameness too though and am still not sure what to do about my ned
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

dwi

Visit site
Daisy is lame in her right shoulder at the moment, I'm waiting for the back lady to come out because I don't like my vet. we think that she did it careering round the field like a mad thing, which she is still doing despite being lame.

Big hugs, its rubbish having a lame horse and not knowing why

Do you have a physio or the like who would come out and giver her a general once over? A check can never hurt