Lameness

Twiglet

Visit site
My horse had a fall in the field overnight on Sunday - he walked in sound, but after 6 hours in the stable, he was so lame that he literally couldn't move.
Had the emergency vet out - diagnosed a shoulder injury, wanted him into the surgery for X Rays to rule out a possible fracture. We decided to not take him in until the morning as he's a bad traveller and we didn't want undue stress on the bad leg (totally non-weight bearing, couldn't walk).
The next day (Tuesday) there was a marked improvement - now weight bearing although he was still lame.
Over the course of the day he progressively got better, until last night he was very nearly sound.
The vet decided it wasn't worth getting him in for X Rays as the injury was obviously less severe than it originally appeared.

So my question really is, does anyone else have experience with their horses 'exaggerating' lameness?! I know I'm attributing human traits to him, but he IS a TB, and he does LOVE attention......
I just think that on Monday we were discussing surgery and retirement for him.....then the next day the lameness was improved 70%, and this morning he was barely lame on a tight circle.
This is with minimal assistance from bute - only cold hosing and box rest.

Vet is back out tomorrow, so will see what he says, but if I hadn't have had lots of witnesses to the lameness on Monday, I'd be convinced I was imagining it!

Sparklet

Visit site
I have never know a horse exaggerate lameness but I have known them to recover quickly from lameness which appears to be quite severe if the treatment/care is right.

I suspect you horse pulled something and the whole area tightened up when stood in for the 6 hours - bute, hosing and a bit of movement has loosened him up and made it all feel less painful.

I bet you are very relieved.

Twiglet

Visit site
That was my thinking too......despite being prone to his dramatic moments, he's quite brave, and he was definitely in pain. Now he's obviously feeling tons better and just wants to go back in the field.....

He is 16 as well, so I suppose things hurt a bit more than when he was a youngster.....