Laminitics

annaellie

Visit site
Hi wondering if any one has heard of this, My friend who has a laminitic pony he has been for years but under controlled has also had diarrea for past few years on and off, all tests done, to no conclusion, finally today she called vet back to her boy, now these vets are known for being the best in her area, They said they had a seminar and new research is showing that lamintics are prone to diarrea due to gut function and other bits and bobs am not to sure ythe exact reason but just laminytics are prone to diarrea. Just wondering if any one else heard this theory, even so its a great breakthrough in medics for horses and there owners. What do you all think.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Yes, we have a laminitic (under control) and his poo's are sometimes very runny, sticky and pungent! Have also found this with other 'recovering' laminitics. I give him acidophilus from the health food shop which puts back the good bacteria into the gut (and any other horse who has been poorly or squitty).

Visit site
I feed my laminitic pony a prebiotic as she is prone to diarrhoea - hasn't had it since she's been on the prebiotic. It helps to prevent fructan sugars fermenting in the hind gut and causing the runs and laminitis.

Triskar

Visit site
It does seem that there is more laminitis about now than there ever was in the past. My horses are on lush Herefordshire grass, and greedy pig Shikaree very nearly got laminitis the year before last, when she had been got fit for a long distance riding holiday but due to an accident to the rider couldn't go, and wasn't ridden - her waistline ballooned, but as she is barefoot a routine trim gave us cause for concern at the increased blood supply to her feet, so she was off grass, given a magnegsium supplement and then was turned out in a muzzle - she is routinely muzzled at times of lush growth now as a precautionary measure. I have never had any concerns about laminitis before, and we do fertilise our fields with nitrogen - BUT - I am an old fashioned owner and I have always fed bran. Yes I know all the arguments against feeding it, but it is a source of magnesium and the rest of the ration cancels out any adverse effect. In the olden days, horses ate bran and horses didn't get laminitis. I'm not saying that there is a causal relationship, but there is certainly a correlation.....

And of course bran is very effective at regulating gut action and preventing squittiness!

samsaccount

Visit site
My old pony had lami and occasionly did get the runs if he was souly fed on grass (restricted during summer and hay in winter) but didn't seem to do to badly once we staretd to feed him hi fi lite and since he stopped getting the squits he maintained his weight better.

IMO I didn't think the quality of bran is good any more, could be wrong though.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Recent research has indicated that imbalances within the hind gut have an effect on acidosis and subsequent laminatic changes - If acidosis occurs within the hind gut then this leaves the gut open to invasion from bad bacteria which can cause diarrhea.
Kate x

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have heard that over-using nsaid's (and possibly antibiotics) produces a leaky gut wall. The leaked toxins dissolve the basement membrane in the hoof and that allows/causes the laminae to seperate......
confused.gif