Vet has been this afternoon. After all these months of hard work she has suggested that's as he has been bute free and digital pulse free for a fortnight. He is ready for a set of front shoes, as he is tender walking on stony ground but sound walking on flat ground. A fortnight after being shod she has said he can have very limited turnout and see how he goes.
So cautiously optimistic that things are going in the right direction for my lovely patient big horse xxx
The vet said just normal shoes as she wants to lift his soles. She doesn't think there is any point using heart bars again as he doesn't need them.
My farrier trained with the ferries so I'm comfortable using him.
Interestingly my vet said that she wasnt going to xray as the amount of rotation could not be fixed. The best we could hope for was that he came sound without bute which has been the case. I always thought rotation could be fixed?
So glad your horse is pain free...that's great news.
I would be cautious of shoeing now...shoeing can mask pain. I would wait u til your horse can cope without shoes before deciding whether or not to. The shoe may raise the hoof off the ground but a compromised hoof needs all its components to help support it, including the sole.
I would insist on xrays to make sure all is well inside. Rotation absolutely can be reversed, in that, with the correct trimming and care, a whole new hoof can be grown around the structure correctly. It's a very old fashioned view to say there's no point on xraying IMO.
Whatever you do, just have pulse checking on your daily routine. That's usually your first warning sign.
Best of luck
Normal shoes to lift his soles??? Normal shoes would surely leave his soles unsupported and prone to collapsing. Boots and pads are what you probably need to support his internal structures and bony column while the laminae aren't holding everything in place. Saved my horse - started with fairly thick ones and progressed to thinner and thinner - but yes, you do need x rays to know what is going on inside. It's all here http://www.thelaminitissite.org/
I am another don't shoe in fact I would still have him on box rest for at least another 3 weeks, it is recommended by Robert Eustace that they stay on box rest with limited movement for 30 days post being pain free and off all drugs having got this far I would be very cautious about doing any movement until he was pain free off drugs for quite a while he is a big horse and it takes a long time for the laminae to heal.