Laminitis box rest

Maz55

Visit site
Hoping someone can provide some advice/reassurance. I noticed my mare was very lame on 17 April so brought her in for field. I suspected laminitis (although she’s never had it before) so gave bute. Vet came next day and confirmed my fears. She had 7 days bute twice a day then three days once a day. Apart from vet seeing her and farrier she’s been on box rest since.

On 1st May vet xrayed front hooves and said she has mild rotation (5 degrees) to put shoes back on and if all ok turnout in a week. He said I’d be riding in a month.

Shoes (fronts only on advice of farrier) back on 7th May and farrier too has said I can start turnout but I’m concerned as this is at odds with the laminitis trust advice. She was definitely much improved on 7th May but still not 100% turning and on hind legs. I don’t know how much of that is stiffness from being in the stable or lami (she is 15 and has had hock issues in the past/mild right hind lameness). The last couple of days she’s been noticeably more active in the stable (deep shavings bed).

I’m very cautious about turning out so soon despite vet and farrier advice. Whilst I’m eager to get back on I certainly won’t be riding within the month! Laminitis trust says turnout 30 days after sound and off painkillers but what do they mean by sound? Sound in a straight line? Sound completely? How much allowance is there for stiffness? If I go from when farrier saw her 30 days is first week in June but is that too soon? Or am I being over cautious?

Thanks in advance! This is unexplored territory for me.

Auslander

Visit site
Does seem a rather cavalier approach - I wouldn't want to nail shoes onto compromised feet, or turn out until the horse was completely sound, and had been for some time. I'd also want a diagnosis of what caused the laminitis - has your vet suggested testing for EMS/Cushings?

The laminitic mare we have here was in the box/pen for 8 months before she got a sniff of grass, in imprint shoes for about the same time, and was treated as if she was metabolic (initial tests came back clear, and it wasn't until she had the TRH test that it was confirmed). She's still very much under scrutiny most of the time, and hasn't had another bout, probably because we are very mean to her!

_HP_

Visit site
It's important that you find the cause of the laminitis. Most cases are metabolic but your vet should be testing for EMS and Cushings because until you know the cause, you don't know if you are treating appropriately.
Now you know she has rotation, she should not be movec til it s corrected through trimming.
I'm not a fan of the laminitis trust advice on the whole and prefer the laminitis site and or ecir
http://www.thelaminitissite.org/laminitis.html

https://www.ecirhorse.org

Both these groups give excellent, well researched advice.

If you find the cause and correct the rotation, there is no need for your horse to be in pain or be on bute for too long.

PoniesRock

Visit site
My connie had lami last year. She was Ovbs in box rest with Bute and pads on her feet, then I reduced the bute as she became sound but left the frog supports. She then had heart bars put on. As time went on and she was sound with no bute I started walking her out in hand. Walked her out in hand starting at 10mins, making my way up to 30mins. She was very much sound by this point so I then started leading her off of another horse to build the level of work up. Even when I was back riding her - I did 6 weeks walk work with her - she was still stabled. I didn’t turn her out till the 1st of jan, I wanted the grass to be as dead as it could be. So she spent nearly 7 months in her box. But she was sound and fit in full work by the time she saw a blade of grass again.

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree with you op. Mine had had severe rotation in November last year. He is now 6 months in and completely sound and rotation is corrected. He’s had heartbars on since January. I got given the go ahead 8 weeks ago to walk him out in hand to build him up again. He’s on a dirt paddock until he gets more tests to see if he’s regulated him self. He’s insulin resistant. I think your vet and carrier are being too quick. The rotation needs stabilised and corrected first before any turn out for the hooves stability.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I just wouldn't be turning out on any sort of grass paddock as we are still in the Spring flush of grass which is lethal but if you have a bare paddock/turnout that's a different matter.

Zuzzie

Visit site
I just want to say, there is some wonderful advice here from the members of our forum. It just goes to show that you need to hear from people that have had first hand experience of this horrible condition.

McFluff

Visit site
Thank you for posting this, and for the advice following. I’m just coming to terms with the recent lami attack that my mare is suffering (there was no warning, no symptoms, she’s the leanest and fittest I’ve had her, so it’s taking some adjustment). I’m preparing for months of box rest and rehab, and only very limited access to grass in the future. Not how I planned to keep a horse, but needs must. From what I’ve been told, if I turn her out now I’ll cause more damage and it could be irreversible.