Laminitis epidemic in July????

noblesteed

Visit site
Hi all,
My horse lives on a private yard with 6 others. 3 aged skinny retirees, 2 other rideable mares and mine. They all share a single large but well-grazed field. Recently the 2 younger mares on our yard have come down with mild lami symptoms - sore feet etc. Both were fat and are now on restricted grazing and diets. My lad has had lami years ago but has since been fine and looking slim n healthy - vet weight-checked him 3 weeks ago and was very happy. Unfortunately he had nail bind then lost a shoe and so wasn't ridden much for 2 weeks, but all fine, no pulses, still thin etc. I went away this weekend for 3 days and returned sunday eve to find him bloated and hobbling! I am gutted as he's been doing so well with his arthritis etc - this was really a shock as he's been so slim n healthy! He's now sulking on box rest n soaked hay :(
I find it bizarre that 3 horses on the yard can all get lami at the same time in the middle of summer! Is it due to the unusual weather making the grass ridiculously lush? Or could there be something more sinister???

atropa

Visit site
My mare is going through her first ever bout of (thankfully extremely mild, according to vet and farrier) lami, caused by a colic episode in May. IMO the grass has been insanely rich and abundant this year, and I have heard of quite a few colic and lami cases due to it - my girl has just been unlucky and ended up with both :( I was shocked when vet diagnosed her as she's very slim and doesn't eat massive amounts of sugar gemerald.

gingerarab

Visit site
Both my vet and farrier are saying there is so much of it about, grass has had the best weather to be really rich

WelshD

Visit site
A lot of ponies (two of mine included) simply didnt lose the weight over winter that they normally would which I dare say will be the reason for a lot of cases this year

NZJenny

Visit site
I blame global warming. It should be the middle of winter here, but I have spring grass making an appearance. We should be having sub zero temperatures most nights, but we have been lucky to a decent frost in a week and the ski fields are doing it hard. No southerly storms, no snow and no winter for the rest of us.

muckypony

Visit site
I also blame the weather... My grass didn't stop growing all winter and with all this rain it's just so rich.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
laminitis is a condition we now have to fight all year because of our climate the grass is just so potent I would be very careful, I have left my horses naked they are well covered they don't need a rug ! Please let this be a message to those who feel they need to put a rug on in July!

noblesteed

Visit site
Pinkvboots my horse doesn't wear a rug and neither did the others. Our farm is on a windy clifftop on the North Yorkshire coast - freezing cold nearly all year round with no shelter in their field. Yet they STILL came down with lami! That's how bad it is!!!!!
Mine is still poorly :( he's now eating but mainly his straw bed. He's drinking a bit too but I walked him up the barn and he's still tottering on 4 sore feet after 4 days in :( his back feet are always the worst as he has steriod injections in his hocks once a year. Got him a big bag of top spec anti lam but I am fearing the worst - this weather better improve or he'll be stuck in for the rest of summer :(

TwyfordM

Visit site
Mine went down with it at the end of April but shes your typical case, a Cushings welsh! But a thoroughbred type I know has it now, madness!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Pinkvboots my horse doesn't wear a rug and neither did the others. Our farm is on a windy clifftop on the North Yorkshire coast - freezing cold nearly all year round with no shelter in their field. Yet they STILL came down with lami! That's how bad it is!!!!!
Mine is still poorly :( he's now eating but mainly his straw bed. He's drinking a bit too but I walked him up the barn and he's still tottering on 4 sore feet after 4 days in :( his back feet are always the worst as he has steriod injections in his hocks once a year. Got him a big bag of top spec anti lam but I am fearing the worst - this weather better improve or he'll be stuck in for the rest of summer :(

I only really said that as the farm next door to me has liveries and I see so many of there horses in turnouts when it's 20 degrees, I know it's been wet but it's not cold I just think it crazy putting rugs on they don't need them.

I also think the grass has been really rich because of the weather it's been like spring in June, I am sorry your horse is still sore has the vet put frog supports on they really help, you haven't fertilised your field recently by any chance ?

windand rain

Visit site
I have found with footie ponies wrapping nappies on helps support their feet and makes them more comfortable especially if like me you have no access to a stable. Changed daily or at most every other day they keep the feet dry supported and comfortable. I have been very vigilant and havent had a problem but mine too came out of winter far too fat and I didnt buy any hay at all last winter. just oat straw chaff and a tiny amount of soaked grassnuts to carry supplements. Unrugged barely any shelter as we were strip grazing last years foggage until April. I usually like to see them slim by April but it just didnt happen this year

Merlod

Visit site
My lami prone shetland, who I have owned for 5 years has always been part muzzled through the summer months and fine. He's currently on box rest as he's not even been able to cope with the grass even though he has had his muzzle on constantly :(