Laminitis in 2 year old? Any experiences?!

blitznbobs

Visit site
We had a 4 y o welsh d who presented with laminitis was diagnosed within 24 hours with acute cushings and immediately PTs ... It was horrible

Blitz...

HazyXmas

Visit site
As said already, it's very unusual for a horse/pony that young to present with laminitis. I've not heard of a 2 yr old with it.
My vet told me of a 3 yr old last year that presented with it in all four feet, apparently it was & always had been very overweight. That too was PTS i'm afraid.
Hope that your has a better outcome.

be positive

Visit site
A friend had a 2 year old home bred tb get it many years ago, it was turned out on their dairy farm so due to too much rich fertilised grass, she was sent to the laminitis clinic for treatment, it was very invasive but she pulled through and went on to jump to grade B, event and eventually be a broodmare, although never reached her full potential she did lead a normal life apart from being extremely carefully managed at all times. Friend is now paranoid about laminitis.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
This youngster is not quite 2 yet (next month) is the thinner side of normal (always been thin, never been chubby even as a foal, just normal), not been stressed & on squishy ground so not concussive.

If it is lami suspect it must be hormonal.

Eta, never been fed anything more than fast fibre & over the winter grow & win by spillers which is v low sugar & suitable for lami prone broodmares. Not had any feed of any kind in last 2 months, just grass.

Last edited:

1Anastasia

Visit site
Yes I have heard of a 2 year old with laminitis, my mare! She is purebred section D and I bought her at six months old. She was out on well grazed pasture which if anything was a bit on the poor side and was at a good weight for her age needing nothing but the grazing and a vitamin supplement to look as a two year old should. Unbeknown to me the yard owner decided to fertilise the field with my filly and another heavily pregnant D mare in it. I came up in the evening (still completely unaware of what had been done) to find the whole field covered in white pellets and both ponies burned around their muzzles and faces and very unwell. Both were diagnised with nitrogen poisoning and both were very sick but beginning to pull through although still on box rest when I went up one day to find my filly unable to stand. The emergency vet was there within the hour and rotation in all four feet due to toxaemic lami was diagnosed. I very nearly lost her on several occasions but she did pull through and is now 16 years old. She has however been very susceptible to lami ever since and even something as simple as being wormed or vaccinated can trigger an attack. She has even got it from being near arable fields that have been sprayed with weed killer. The first time I thought it was coincidence that 24hours after spraying several hundred metres away she was hobbling but after the fourth and fifth time the evidence was indisputable. She has had over 35 acute attacks although on each occasion she has suffered no further rotation issues and has been sound and in work again within six weeks. she is unable to have any access to grass and wears heart bars permanently to support her feet. Her saving grace at two and ever since is that she has feet like concrete. My farrier has said that if she had soft soles she'd have been dead years ago! In those 14 years since that attack she has won her class at Kent County, qualified for Hickstead in dressage, drives, jumps and generally has a great life. I am absolutely certain that she does now have EMS but tested clear for hormonal issues after the first bout. The pregnant mare recovered but her foal was born two months later with irrepairable cataracts in both eyes leaving her totally blind. The vet was of the opinion that this was directly caused by the toxic effect of the fertilizer. :-(