Laminitis in mares with foals at foot?

MillionDollar

Visit site
So can mares with foal at foot get laminitis? I thought they could, as I'm positive I've heard about broodmares with laminitis
confused.gif
But three people have now told me that my mares CANNOT get laminitis at the moment?

Is this true? If so, why?

Tia

Visit site
Yes they can! Right after foaling is a very worrying time for all mares because of the risk of laminitis. This was one of the main reasons that I hummed and haaed about allowing Cloud to become pregnant, however I have managed her feed before and after foaling so that this wouldn't happen - seems to have worked so far.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Thank you! You see I was positive they could, but one person I know is insistant that they cannot
mad.gif

He keeps going on, as I put the mares in a small paddock with not much grass in every other day and at night and then in a 2 acre paddock with lots of grazing every other day for 10 hours.
He keeps asking, 'Why have you put them in there again (in small paddock)?' And when I say 'To stop them getting too fat and getting laminitis', he laughs and says 'But they can't!'

Well at least I know now, and I don't care a toss what he thinks
smirk.gif

brackenhappy

Visit site
they can get post birth laminitis usually if any of the placenta has been retained. not sure about after i.e foal is 2/3 months etc, just i was advised by my vet that this can happen as last foal was a suprise and i hadnt had a mare in foal before so asked loads of questions!!! thats why the vets like to examine the placenta to make sure its whole. bracken didnt retain any afterbirth and she was fine no laminitis or anything! hoping next time just as easy!!!!