Laminitis, why now....

Phoebe

Visit site
My boy is 20... just the right weight, never had it before. Totally knackered on all 4 legs. On a deep shavings bed, shoes coming off, on restricted horsehage, diagnosed laminitis this morning after looking bit stiff last night (so I brought him in). He's been on good grazing but restricted... an acre between 2. Not stressed grass or anything. No hard feed....

I am sooo upset. I feel I have let him down. Vet taken bloods and wants to come to do starved ones (cushings? wasnt really taking it in)

My poor neddy. He couldnt even move this morning. Is it likely to be his age? He's on 4 Danilon a day for 4 days and then 3.

Alibear

Visit site
The sunshine last week really boosted the grass and has caught a lot of people out.
Cushings is also a possible cause and is age related so great that your vet is already testing for that. If it comes back positive there's good treatment options (pergolide tablets usually) out there so try not to get too upset (a lot easier said then done I know).
Sounds like you've got a good vet and got him treatment quickly so no reason why he shouldn't make a good recovery.

Montyforever

Visit site
It's so hard when they get it, try not to blame yourself (I know that's hard!!) my mare had it in 3 feet last year. But she was back out for a couple of hours a day and sound in a month :) she's about to be tested for cushings as she's still not 100% right though! Good luck

PC Steele

Visit site
Pls don't be too hard on yourself:D My 19 yr old suffered laminitis last year totally out of the blue!!! I was riding him one day and he was crippled the next:eek: he spent weeks on box rest which he hated, I just kept thinking what have I done wrong? Could it have been prevented? I beat myself up for weeks. Turned out he had Cushing's, then I thought god I should have spotted the signs sooner etc. but a year on he is sound, Cushing's under control with pergolide:) so just got to prevent another attack now:D

Horsey_Anne

Visit site
Does sound like Cushings - got that t-shirt!
If you don't like pergolide option then there are several herbal products that are very effective as is homeopathy
Good luck,
If you've caught it early then hopefully the recovery will be just as quick

amandap

Visit site
I am assuming he has had grazing. It is Spring, we have had a long dry mild period and now have wet and cold nights. Sugars are building in the grass and it's growing madly...
Google safer grass, Kathryn Watts's web site.

Supertrooper

Visit site
Might be worth having him checked for EMS. I think the new research they have done into laminitis shows that it's highly likely to be caused by either cushings or EMS xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My mare has both Cushings and EMS. She came down with laminitis over Christmas. She was only seventeen and on no grass at the time, so it took me right by surprise.

Phoebe

Visit site
I think he's been checked for that, they did loads of tests and she reeled all the results off and said everything clear...cortisone and insulin etc etc from memory.

SNORKEY

Visit site
I had my old cob 11 years when he went down with it. Unfortunately his pedal bones dropped in all 4 feet and I lost him. I had him on a 250 acre farm and also other good grazing and when I moved him home on newly laid paddocks he went straight down with it. We think it was because of the fertiliser. Fingers crossed your boy will be fine.

Phoebe

Visit site
Yes. Vet came at ten am and took bloods. I actually think the fertiliser might have a bearing as I'd moved the fence on that morning and possibly moved it enough for him to gorge