Laminitis - Would you buy a pony that had it once 3 years Ago?

Squeak

Visit site
A lovely native pony has come up for sale that ticks all the boxes but the owner has said that it had a bout of laminitis once, 3 years ago, with it's previous owner when it was left out on very good grazing and not in work. It hasn't had an attack since. Would this put you off?

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’d take one who didn’t have history of it in preference but it wouldn’t be a show stopper if x- rays and vetting were ok and I had the time/facilities/ funds to manage it.

I’d walk well clear of one that had several bouts though!

Squeak

Visit site
Hmmm thank you all, it's sounding like I might be better to steer clear. I've been fortunate to have not had a laminitic, I know the basics of general weight management etc. but not specifically for laminitis.

I'd wondered (probably naively and optimistically!!) if because it had been a 'one off' that if you were just careful of weight etc that you'd be able to treat it as essentially a normal pony in regards to turnout etc. but it's sounding as if that unfortunately wouldn't be the case.

Myloubylou

Visit site
If I had access to facilities that could effectively manage one I would if the pony was what was looking for and I could reassure myself that pedal bone were not rotated. Although probably more likely to reoccur in horse with previous attack any horse can come down with it.

oldie48

Visit site
I'd also consider but would want more information about what the pony is required for, age etc. Lots of older pc ponies need careful management but continue to do a fab job teaching children to ride safely etc and are worth their weight in gold and find new homes when their riders outgrow them but you do need to understand what you are taking on.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would be much more cautious buying it midwinter than midsummer. I would be questionning why the pony is for sale at the lowest point in the market.

If the feet look good now, and the three years is definitely the truth and the pony has been managed completely normally for at least two years it wouldn't concern me at all.

It may be a bigger problem if you insure as it's likely to be a lifetime exclusion, I would have thought.

Peter7917

Visit site
Yes but only because I have the facilities for such a pony.

I've seen people keep lami prone ponies on lush grazing in big fields who refuse to move yards to somewhere more suited. One of which had a pony, had a stupid name like Rat, was disgustingly fat and eventually was PTS as a result. It was nothing short of cruel.

bonny

Visit site
Wouldn’t worry me at all, in fact if the owner hadn’t told you then probably you would have never known. Just keep the pony fit and there’s no reason why he should have another attack.

Squeak

Visit site
I'm a bit worried about putting on too much information and people being able to link it to which pony it is as I'm not sure it would be fair to the seller. It's a low double figure in age and would only be for hacking and low level riding club, there are quite a lot of horses that could do the job, this is just a particularly appealing/ nice one. It would do more work in the summer and less in the winter but even then it wouldn't get ridden everyday in summer.

It would need to be able to live with a competition horse who can't be kept on a 'starvation paddock'. They live out 24/7 in the summer and in at night in winter. My old girl was a very good doer and I was always worried about her weight so I used to try and get her leaner coming out of the winter and then in the summer I would muzzle if needed and where I could, up her work.

Squeak

Visit site
Wouldn’t worry me at all, in fact if the owner hadn’t told you then probably you would have never known. Just keep the pony fit and there’s no reason why he should have another attack.

I had thought it did seem honest of the seller as it's not even had an attack with them. You would hope people would say but I can see if someone doesn't think it's an issue while they've owned it, it could become omitted...

Leo Walker

Visit site
I dont think I'd take one for free, and I'm the idiot that buys lame horses! Its a non stop struggle to manage and its always there in the background. My vet said to me that once they had had it it wasnt if it would kill them, but when. It might be 2 weeks or 20years, but in the majority of cases, that was the end result.

Having had a young fit horse PTS because of it, I'm probably particularly wary, but why buy something that is going to need intense micro management 24/7 for the rest of its life?

Velcrobum

Visit site
If the pony ticks the boxes and you can manage grass intake with a muzzle it is going to be in work and the price is right then why not. No attack while with current owner who has been honest and up-front. As always on the forum opinions differ ;)

Reactions: JJS

Leandy

Visit site
No, I would keep looking unless it was absolutely perfect in every other way and I knew this (and its history) either directly or absolutely verifiably from someone I know and trust and it passed a vet. I would not just take the currrent seller's word for it.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I would and have and would do it again if I was satisfied that it was a genuine one off. My loan pony had had one attack prior to her coming to me and had another when I wasn't quick enough to remove her from too good grazing. I suspect she had EMS. We dealt with her by getting her weight right down in the winter and keeping her slim. Never had another attack despite not being worked. Her feet never changed shape and her action never changed. No one could have told by looking at her that she had ever had it.

However it is something you have to be constantly aware of so not for the inexperienced or faint hearted.

chaps89

Visit site
No no no. You couldn't pay me enough. Mine had a tiny mild bout 3 or 4 years ago but has been intensely managed since then, and on regular livery yards it is so so difficult.
And especially if you want it to be able to I've alongside something that can't be on a starvation paddock.
Sorry.

Visit site
I would. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I have dealt with them before so know how to manage them. If the pony is right in every other way then speak to people who have dealt with it and have prevented it since, get xrays of the feet if you want and take advice from the vet. Lami isn't the end of the world. It might also be worth asking if the pony has had an EMS test - if not then I would get on done. If the pony is clear then it will be easier to manage.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
A lovely native pony has come up for sale that ticks all the boxes but the owner has said that it had a bout of laminitis once, 3 years ago, with it's previous owner when it was left out on very good grazing and not in work. It hasn't had an attack since. Would this put you off?

Yes, it would put me off.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Hmmm thank you all, it's sounding like I might be better to steer clear. I've been fortunate to have not had a laminitic, I know the basics of general weight management etc. but not specifically for laminitis.

I'd wondered (probably naively and optimistically!!) if because it had been a 'one off' that if you were just careful of weight etc that you'd be able to treat it as essentially a normal pony in regards to turnout etc. but it's sounding as if that unfortunately wouldn't be the case.

Depends what caused the lami. If EMS, then it will be daily management weighing/soaking hay & restricted turnout.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would, but would insist on xrays 1st - depending on those - which would determine whether pony would be worth taking on.

That said, I'm geared up for natives.
Your later post about yard and management leads me to say avoid any animal that needs to be on any restriction of diet.
Agree with all of this. Managing horses with opposite needs in the same environment is really challenging.