Laminitis - Would you buy a pony that had it once 3 years Ago?

Fiona

Visit site
I feel for you OP, there are enough issues to be considered when buying a new horse, never mind management issues to be considered as well.... I have to admit that my first horse, a 15hh welsh cob got laminitis (rarely in his back feet) once when I was away a bit more than usual over the summer and he didn't get the work he normally did. However I owned him for another 10 years subsequently and he never even had a sniff of it again, because I kept him a lot slimmer.

We are going to look at a childs pony for loan at the weekend, which has previously had laminitis. However in our defence, we keep ponies at home, have an all weather turnout area as well as an arena, and two tiny paddocks which can be divided by electric fence. Seemingly he will submit to wearing a grazing muzzle. He was a successful show pony in a previous life many years ago, so he was kept in a fairly chubby condition.....

Does anyone think we are mad, or is it a reasonable gamble to take as the pony is on loan.

Fiona

Nudibranch

Visit site
I believe over 90% of laminitis cases have a metabolic issue going on, so while management is often the main factor triggering an episode, it's not the actual cause.

Fiona

Visit site
I believe over 90% of laminitis cases have a metabolic issue going on, so while management is often the main factor triggering an episode, it's not the actual cause.

My vet suggested Cushings and EMS test? if we bring this pony home :) Though I'll ask his present owners too...

Fiona

blitznbobs

Visit site
But human type ii diabetes is also most often caused by management and there's solid evidence that it can be halted by management. My experience is that horses are the same.

I agree that in a horse which is laminitic or has recently been laminitic there's a serious risk you've got an incurable issue going on, and I would run a mile. But if a pony has genuinely been trouble free for three years I wouldn't consider it any more of a risk than any other pony, myself.

Yes in most people but not all... and that’s the rub - each to their own if we were all the same it would be a boring world

Equi

Visit site
I would want xrays and a cushings/metabolic panel done before i bought them but no it would not turn me off if they were perfect in every other way. As long as you will be going to a yard that can accomodate it and you truly think you can offer the diet/turnout and exercise they need for the rest of their life...

Chianti

Visit site
A lovely native pony has come up for sale that ticks all the boxes but the owner has said that it had a bout of laminitis once, 3 years ago, with it's previous owner when it was left out on very good grazing and not in work. It hasn't had an attack since. Would this put you off?

No. It makes management very difficult unless you have your own land and can ensure the correct turn out. Otherwise you'll be relying on livery yard owners and - having been there with a laminitic- that can make life very stressful!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
A lovely native pony has come up for sale that ticks all the boxes but the owner has said that it had a bout of laminitis once, 3 years ago, with it's previous owner when it was left out on very good grazing and not in work. It hasn't had an attack since. Would this put you off?
Nope, I currently have 3 who suffer with laminitis, and lost my boys mum to it. The new pony we got was out full time on a 5 acre field, feet were like slippers crest like mike tyson. Managed properly you can reduce it, we currently got ours on turmeric and that with controlled grazing has ke-t any major flare ups at bay.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Really depends on the pony - if it was the safest, honest, easy to handle pony for a child ever then absolutely yes. If it is just a raw project then no.

AandK

Visit site
If I had the set up and some experience of managing that type, then yes I would. For me personally, I don't have either of those, so would not risk it. My experience is of horses that need to put weight on, and my current field would be a death sentence for anything with any history of laminitis or one that has EMS.