Laminitis

SophieAlice

Visit site
So currently my pony came in lame.. kept her in from Saturday to Tuesday, turned put Tuesday as went sound. Brought back in and lame! Then kept in for a whole week. Gave 3 days of Bute. Went sound so then turned out yesterday and lame again! A friend has had a similar thing and was told it was due to the grass, sugar content, so border line laminitis/ems. When she is turned out she doesn't charge around to anything, initially I thought it may of been an injury from the field but she is only lame once she has been out. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I'm seeking professional advice but would be good to hear of people's experience. Thanks

Nari

Visit site
Have you had the vet out, or just treated her yourself? Possible laminitis then it should be treated as an emergency because degree of lameness isn't always a good indicator of how severe the attack is, so please get a vet out asap. If laminitis is ruled out then she still needs a visit having been lame this long & it worsening with activity. If, as Meleeka says, the pulses in both fronts are bounding then there's a very strong chance it's laminitis & she needs box rest, bute, supports fitted & possibly x-rays to check for movement & trim accordingly.

Corbie

Visit site
Check pulses in ALL legs. Although majority get in front of all fours a select few present initially in hinds only. Also how is the pony walking over stony ground? A laminitis case will give preference to softer ground basically seek it.
The only problem of course with checking for pulses is knowing what feels normal for your pony. If you're not sure ask someone to check for you who is familiar with the 'bounding' pulse. Do not go on heat in the hooves - a bad acute case will doubt feel obviously warm but not less severe cases - it just isn't a good way of detecting. Pulses definitely are.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If a pony is going lame with laminitis after being turned out there will usually be an underlying cause of either Cushings or EMS. Get the vet to test her when he sees her.

SophieAlice

Visit site
I know. I had a thermal imaging person come out. Before she did it she suspected trapped nerve! Her leg was also very cold. Since yesterday she seems happier! Thank god. Must learn to not listen to everyone's diagnosis!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I know. I had a thermal imaging person come out. Before she did it she suspected trapped nerve! Her leg was also very cold. Since yesterday she seems happier! Thank god. Must learn to not listen to everyone's diagnosis!

They diagnosed your horse?? They arent allowed to do that. You need a vet out. If theres underlying low grade laminitis then you could be signing a death warrant by continuing to turn out.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Yes, especially unqualified people with thermal imaging cameras.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

For the long term sake of your horse I would call the vet and get a professional opinion.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

The thing with thermal imaging is that you can interpret what you see to fit all sorts of theories. For example, if a horse has a problem in the foot and is subtly not weight bearing on that leg, then the leg above the damaged foot can appear cold because they're not standing on it.

You're really best to get a vet out for a work up to check.

be positive

Visit site

As everyone else that has replied I am very uncomfortable with a "diagnosis" from a person not qualified to diagnose, in all my years with horses I have never known one get a trapped nerve in a leg but have known a few with laminitis, please get a proper diagnosis from a vet rather than risk the health of your horse.

Nari

Visit site
That money would have been far better spent on a vet who could legally give a diagnosis based on a proper examination. Thermal imaging may have a place, but this certainly isn't it.